Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Manisha 5 posts 25 karma points
    Dec 06, 2013 @ 04:53
    Manisha

Setting up existing umbraco site in visual studio

I have a 6.1.6 Umbraco site to which I need to add a form now. How can this be set up in Visual Studio 2013. All the articles  I have read, points to nuget installation of umbraco on top of a blank VS project. I tried doing this but launching the default page after installation through package manager Console goes through the installation of umbraco. I am at a loss here, I there shoukd be ane asy option to open your umbraco site without the need to install umbraco from scratch. Please help.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 06, 2013 @ 08:24
    Dirk De Grave

you can use "Open website" in vs.net to open up your existing umbraco website (just select the folder that contains your umbraco install)! No need to install umbraco using nuget again... Running the installation again probably means you've nuget'ed a newer version than your existing umbraco installation, which will result in an update of your current umbraco installation

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Manisha 5 posts 25 karma points
    Dec 17, 2013 @ 02:55
    Manisha

Hi, Thanks for this, I am using VS2013 and can open the website using File>> Open Website>> . But when try to build it , I get lots of error (53 ) most of these complaining about missing using directive/ assembly reference. For example "Error    6    The type or namespace name 'umbraco' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) User, Examine, MemberGroup, Member Type are other namespaces missing. Looks like something basic is missing, is it to do with the version of VS?

• Gaurav Gupta 17 posts 39 karma points
    Apr 13, 2014 @ 16:09
    Gaurav Gupta

Hi,

If you are using Visual Studio 2013 then it is very simple to open the existing umbraco version 6 or greater than.

Go to File->Open  Web Site->Existing Project.

Thanks

• John Perryn 71 posts 182 karma points
    Jul 26, 2014 @ 08:27
    John Perryn

Hi all

I have been struggling with this problem on and off for some time. If your existing site includes certain packages (Courier is one...) then the above method fails. My site had been through several phases and upgrades. Each time I attempted to bring it under VS20xx things went awry at the first build .

Today I finally succeeded using VS2013 to debug and extend my V6.2.1 site - as follows:

1 Using VS2013. Create a New Project/ASP MVC4/Empty and save it, then close VS2013. This creates the base project structure which we will add to.

2 Copy all the files from your existing site into the new project using windows explorer, and overwrite anything that matches.

3 Re-open the project with VS2013. Note that the Solution Explorer tree is sparse. Click on theSolution Explorericon to "Show All Files". This makes your site's files visible but importantly does NOT include them in the project. Yet.

4 Do a test build/run on the project to see that your home page is correctly rendered. If this fails then your problems lie elsewhere...

Stop the project. This enables Solution Explorer options that don't work for a running project.

6 In Solution Explorer locate macroScripts and Right Click, then select the option to "Include In Project". You may have other folders which need to be included. It is importantnotto include certain folders such as umbracoandumbraco_client- where be dragons...

7 Add in references to Umbraco DLLs and any other DLLs from packages which have been added. Right click the References folder and select Add Reference.... Now browse to the bin folder of the project and multi-select all likely DLLs. No need to add existing items such as the Microsoft and System DLLs

8 Test by selecting a suitable (Razor) masterscript and set a breakpoint.Build/run the site and confirm that the breakpoint is triggered. Test further by adding some simple MVC code.

I’m still not 100% certain that I have slain all of the dragons here and would appreciate feedback from someone with “certified” Umbraco/ASP.NET skills if there are any obvious errors or omissions.

All the best

John P

• Jean-Francois Payette 1 post 71 karma points
    Jan 21, 2016 @ 20:30
    Jean-Francois Payette

I tried your solution but i'm having an error "An exception of type 'System.MethodAccessException' occurred in AppWebk0p2axaz.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: Attempt by method 'ASP.PageViewsHomePagecshtml.Execute()' to access method 'System.Web.WebPages.WebPageExecutingBase.BeginContext(System.String, Int32, Int32, Boolean)' failed."

This error is on the line: Layout = "MasterPage.cshtml";

Any idea?

• Nawaz 21 posts 74 karma points
    Aug 20, 2019 @ 15:52
    Nawaz

I know this is an old post but had the same issue needed to open an existing Umbraco website in VS so I can update it. I tried John's suggestions but got a bunch of errors.

The solution that worked for me was creat a blank project in VS and use Nuget to install the same version of Umbraco

install-package UmbracoCMS -version 7.x

once installed copy in your files overwriting the ones with the same name.

It's usually a good idea to clear out the App_Data folder: delete all except the packages folder, umbraco.config and Umbraco.sdf if there is one.

Build.

I got two warnings but were resolved by VS.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft