Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Terry Clancy 204 posts 944 karma points
    Nov 30, 2013 @ 20:44
    Terry Clancy

How to install Umbraco 7.0.0 on GoDaddy Plesk Hosting

I finally got Umbraco 7.0.0 working on GoDaddy.  Here are the key observations and things I did:

(1)  GoDaddy DOES support .Net 4.5 and Full Trust  (Note that it shows as .Net 4.0 but that included .Net 4.5) on WIndows erver 2012 machines administered by the Plesk Control Plannel.  For more info see http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/8851?locale=en&ci=46061 ;

(2) For .Net 4.5 go to Visit My Account (Plesk) /  Web Hosting / Launch / Then at center bottom of box around the domain name in question click on obscure little drop down arrow / ASP.Net Settings / Change Version / Confirm that 4.0.30319.17929 (or greater) is selected

(3) For Full Trust to Visit My Account (Plesk) /  Web Hosting / Launch / Then at center bottom of box around the domain name in questions click on obscure little drop down arrow / ASP.Net Settings / Code Access Security / CAS trust level / Select Full / OK

(4) Copy installation files to your hosting folder using Filezilla or similar then Set permsission on all the files in Plesk File Manager using little obscure drop down arrow to right of file or directory name.  Set permissions as follows for Plest IIS Anonymous Account and Plesk IIS Worker Process Identity Account.  Also in each case CLEAR Allow inheritible permissions from the parent and SET Replace permission entries on all child objects.

App_Data   Modify

App_Plugins Modify

bin Modify

Config Modify

css Modify

data   Modify

Install Modify

macroScripts Modify

masterpages Modify

media Modify

scripts Modify

Umbraco Modify

Umbraco_Client Modify

xslt Modify

web.config Modify

Views Modify

usercontrols Modify

App_Browsers Read Execute

App_Code   Read Execute

(5)    To avoid “Validation of viewstate MAC failed”  error make these changes to web.config

<!--  ================================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  -->
        <!--  Next line modified by Terry Clancy Nov 23 2013 -->
        <!--  To avoid “Validation of viewstate MAC failed”  error and as per recommendation at  -->
        <!--  http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/6722-Validation-of-viewstate-MAC-failed -->
        <!--  Original Version  -->
        <!--  <pages enableEventValidation="false">  -->
        <!--  Altered Version  -->
        <pages validateRequest="false" enableEventValidation="false" viewStateEncryptionMode="Never">
        <!--  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<================================  -->

also make this change:

<!--  ================================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  -->
        <!--  Next lines modified by Terry Clancy Nov 29 2013  -->
        <!-- To avoid “Validation of viewstate MAC failed”  error  -->
        <!-- Go to http://aspnetresources.com/tools/machineKey and create a new unique machine key  -->
        <!-- Position inside <system.web> and after <pages> ........  </pages>    -->
        <!--  Original Version  -->
        <!--  NONE  -->
        <!--  Altered Version  -->
    <machineKey validationKey="10659C7651FF6D1966D4A9800BD154F48CBF801C7FF38EB33E2332C1B8A7673FA861603FEB516366E39269CA4993F427E8F8E914F74639594F3883057CE0C38D" decryptionKey="5B65EE6184FB8A8450221F573FADB3EFE760DDF5643A8A7F5830E672B266306F" validation="SHA1" decryption="AES" /> 
        <!--  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<================================  -->

(6)To avoid installation hanging at Connecting to database ....  5%  

<!--  ================================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  -->
        <!--  Next lines modified by Terry Clancy Nov 23 2013 -->
        <!-- To avoid installation hanging at Connecting to database ....  5%  -->
        <!-- Position immediately after </system.web>  -->
        <!-- add  -->

<connectionStrings>
      <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=184.168.47.15;database=DBName;user id=DBUser;password=Password" 

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
            </connectionStrings>

<!--  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<================================  -->

I hope this helps !!

Terry Clancy

• Terry Clancy 204 posts 944 karma points
    Dec 01, 2013 @ 00:36
    Terry Clancy

I forgot to mention that at step  (6)To avoid installation hanging at Connecting to database ....  5%  

You also need to create the database in SQL Server AND assign sufficient Owned Schemas to the DBUser (you need more than just db_owner).  To be safe I assigned

db_accessadmin

db_backupoperator

db_datareader

db_ddladmin

db_owner

db_securityadmin

DO NOT assign db_denydatareader or db_denydatawriter !!!!

Hope this helps

Terry Clancy

• Evan Clark 4 posts 24 karma points
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:34
    Evan Clark

Hi Terry,

I followed this guide and installed Umbraco 7.1.1 on GoDaddy but I'm recieving a Server Error in '/' Application when I try to access mydomain.com/umbraco/install/default.aspx

Do you have any ideas what I could do? (line 89 is where the error occurs)

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error: 

Line 87:       of SQL Server (including SQL Azure and SQL  Compact) instead of to SQL Server Express.
    Line 88:       -->
    Line 89: <sessionState mode="InProc" customProvider="DefaultSessionProvider"> Line 90:       <providers>
    Line 91:         <add name="DefaultSessionProvider" type="System.Web.Providers.DefaultSessionStateProvider, System.Web.Providers, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" />
  • Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Evan

As I wrote in your own post on the subject you should try to explaing GoDaddy that you're installing Umbraco. I've seen people have GoDaddy installation issues before and usually they need to contact support in order to have things working.

/Jan

• Aaron 5 posts 83 karma points
    Sep 04, 2014 @ 18:50
    Aaron

I have been trying to install Umbraco 6.2.1 for a few days now and found this tutorial very helpful. Specifically the part about the databse connection getting stuck at 5%. I adjusted the connection string and moved it below </system.web> and it finally installed. Thanks for the explanation.

• Ricardo 1 post 72 karma points
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 21:09
    Ricardo

Thank you Terry, i already install Umbraco 7 on GoDaddy, but was necesary add the followin lines in the web.config.

<configuration>
         <system.web>
              <trust level="Full" />
         </system.web>
    </configuration> 

Regards!

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Apr 02, 2017 @ 17:50
    Bobi

Hi, I am trying to upload an umbraco site to go daddy, however I am running into a some problems.

1) For some reason, I cannot change permissions for app_data for Plesk IIS Worker Process Identity Account. I cannot even see Plesk IIS Worker Process Identity Account (I am on a shared server, so don't have access to Plesk IIS Worker Process Identity Account).

2) I have uploaded the files via an ftp transfer (which took forever) (because I was getting the classic path too long issue in visual studio) but my .sln uploaded, as well as the web application folder and packages, so my appdata, appplugins, etc. are not installed at the root directory, but instead in the web application folder. I am not sure if this is bad.

3) Even though I could not change permissions in 1 above, I tried to access the site, but get a 403 forbidden even after I started IIS again: "You do not have permission to access this document."

A few more notes: I ensured that CAS trust level was set to full, and I know my web app runs because I uploaded it a few days ago via web deploy in web matrix and everything was running, except the database was VERY slow, so that's why I wanted to ensure that I did things correctly with respect to matching the schema and data.

I have a feeling there is an issue with permissions (per the 403 error). I wish that the path too long issue didn't happen so I could just web deploy via Visual Studio, and perhaps avoid these issues :s

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    May 17, 2017 @ 05:04
    John Palmer

Hi Bobi,

How is your issue? Have you contact your hosting provider?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft