Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• André Steenbergen 23 posts 43 karma points
    Nov 18, 2013 @ 10:21
    André Steenbergen

Updating/ Publishing slow on Azure SQL

Well the title says it all. I've been trying to publish an Umbraco 7 installation on Azure SQL, locally, with local database, it blazing fast. But on Azure Websites with SQL Azure, the site itself is fast, but the admin section is slow. I also have one Umbraco 6 install on the SQL Compact running fast, so I can think it is not Azure websites which makes it slow.

Does anyone know about speed issues in the admin section on Azure SQL for version 7?

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 10:56
    David Peck

Can't say I've had speed issues, but I did have a few compatibility issues. Did you publish using a bacpac file or scripts? It might be worth trying the other approach.

We're currently working with a SQL Express DB working on a small Amazon EC2 server and it's not lighting fast but quite tolerable.

Nov 19, 2013 @ 10:58
    André Steenbergen

I published using the scripts. I will try and build a bacpac, good idea, thanks.

Nov 19, 2013 @ 11:03
    André Steenbergen

Editing documenttypes for example take these times: editNodeTypeNew.aspx (around 10-15 seconds) getNodes (5-10 seconds), it's not my internetconnection.

Nov 19, 2013 @ 11:08
    David Peck

Oh yeh! If chasing the connection string to a local DB takes this down to a second or two then there is definately something up with your DB.

SQL Azure is just a tweaked SQL Server so I'd be surprised if there was something in it that would cause this sort of delay. It's more likely that the queries Umbraco is running are taking ages because there is something screwy in the DB instance (e.g. indexes aren't setup).

Hopefully the Bacpac file will produce better results but if not you may need to switch to using SQL Express in a server instance. That will definately cost you more of course.

Nov 19, 2013 @ 19:06
    André Steenbergen

Building the bacpac from the local database fixed all issues. Don't know what was wrong, but fast enough now. Thanks for the tip, maybe some indexes were wrong, don't know

• Stan 6 posts 27 karma points
    Mar 02, 2016 @ 00:30
    Stan

On the admin side, retrieving or saving a web page on our Umbrao 4.5.2 with an Azure back end database takes 15 seconds or longer. Saving a template takes virtually no time. Pages are served quickly. But this 15 second wait to bring up and then 15 second wait to save every page, over and over again, is getting tiresome. Response was much faster when the Umbraco database was local. I used a Bacpac to create our migrate our database to Azure.

Azure resource utilization is max 40%, usually much less.

Searching for an answer.

Mar 02, 2016 @ 08:49
    David Peck

Something wrong with your indexes? If you get a clean Umbraco 4.5.2 DB (god knows how?) and compare the schemas it might through something up.

Mar 02, 2016 @ 19:15
    Stan

Thanks David. Good thought on indexes. I still have my local (well functioning) Umbraco database so I tried comparing indexes between it and Azure, and they seem to match, as expected. Then rebuilt all indexes. Then very hopefully tried a page save in Umbraco, but still taking roughly 12-13 seconds to retrieve a page in the editor and 16-17 seconds to save it.

Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoRelationType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoUser] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoUser2app] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoUser2NodeNotify] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoUser2NodePermission] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoUserLogins] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoUserType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsContent] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsContentType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsContentTypeAllowedContentType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsContentVersion] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsContentXml] Cannot do rebuild with Online=On option, taking table [dbo].[cmsContentXml] down for doing rebuild Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsDataType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsDataTypePreValues] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsDictionary] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsDocument] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsDocumentType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsLanguageText] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsMacro] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsMacroProperty] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsMacroPropertyType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsMember] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsMember2MemberGroup] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsMemberType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsPreviewXml] Cannot do rebuild with Online=On option, taking table [dbo].[cmsPreviewXml] down for doing rebuild Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsPropertyData] Cannot do rebuild with Online=On option, taking table [dbo].[cmsPropertyData] down for doing rebuild Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsPropertyType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsStylesheet] Cannot do rebuild with Online=On option, taking table [dbo].[cmsStylesheet] down for doing rebuild Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsStylesheetProperty] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsTab] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsTagRelationship] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsTags] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsTask] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsTaskType] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[cmsTemplate] Cannot do rebuild with Online=On option, taking table [dbo].[cmsTemplate] down for doing rebuild Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoApp] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoAppTree] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoDomains] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoLanguage] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoLog] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoNode] Rebuilding Indexes on [dbo].[umbracoRelation]

Sep 01, 2016 @ 18:36
    Stan

This is still very painful. 10-15 seconds to update, or even to bring up a new page in the Umbraco editor. (Works great when serving pages.)

Figured it must be a slow query. Tried finding one using advice from this website: http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/01/02/sql-server-2008-2005-find-longest-running-query-tsql/.

However, nothing seems to show as slow. Azure recommended a couple of Umbraco indexes, but no change in response time after they were applied.

Since my switch to Azure, all my database related applications work great, except editing pages in Umbraco. :-(

Sep 01, 2016 @ 19:33
    David Peck

You seen this? https://cultiv.nl/blog/making-sure-your-umbraco-site-performs-on-azure/

It's the right topic, but I doubt any of these enhancements would make such a marked difference on your performance.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft