Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Hart 32 posts 51 karma points
    Oct 29, 2013 @ 15:10
    Jonathan Hart

Upgrade path

Good morning all,I have inherited a well-aged installation of umbraco v 4.7.0 (Assembly version: 1.0.4090.21631)We need to upgrade to the current version, perhaps even the 7 beta.  Is there a specific upgrade path I should follow? 

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 29, 2013 @ 16:17
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Jonathan,

I think that you should take a look at Lee Kelleher´s upgrade path and follow it. I have followed it before and it worked brilliant for me.

Here is a link to information about Lee Kelleher´s upgrade path ;)

http://code.leekelleher.com/umbraco/archive/

So first upgrade from  4.7.0 to 4.7.2 test everything works as expected. Then from 4.7.2 to 4.11.8 and again test everything works as expected. Then go from 4.11.8 to 6.0.0 and and test everything works as expected. And finally go from 6.0.0 to 6.1.6 and maybe to version 7. Don´t know if version 7 have major changes in relation to 6, So don´t know if it can be difficult to upgrade from 6 to 7.

I've read in other posts that it should be possible to go from  4.7.2 to 4.11.8 in one step.

So I think the upgrade path could be something like this.
    Hope this helps.

/Dennis

Oct 30, 2013 @ 23:38
    Jonathan Hart

Well I'm off to a lovely start.  I replaced the umbraco.dll file in /bin and get

Method not found: 'Boolean umbraco.UmbracoSettings.get_XmlContentCheckForDiskChanges()

This is my first attempt at upgrading umbraco, so I'm not terribly familiar with the process.  This is on a backed up lower QA environment, so risk is minimal.  The only files in the 4.7.2 package are umbraco.dll and umbraco.pdb.  I moved the 4.7.0 dll out of bin, and replaced it with the new files.  Perhaps this is just noob pain.

Please help me figure out what I'm missing.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 08:16
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Jonathan,

When you have to do an upgrade, then download a clean umbraco, from the download section e.g 4.7.2. After you have done that unzip the files an then, Copy the following files in to the Umbraco installation that you want to upgrade. When you have done that.

Then you have to compare all the config files for changes, if there are changes to the file then merge changes  The configuration files can be found here: /Config. You all so need to compare the Global.ascx and the webconfig for changes, and then merge them too.

You could a tool like WinMerge or DiffMerge to check changes between all of the config files. Depending on when you did this last there have been updates to quite a few of them. And you have to do the same for every step you take from version to version.

Since version 4.0.0 there have been two database upgrades, one to version 4.1.0 and one to version 4.9.0.
    Version 6 introduces a large database upgrade and still handles all the previously necessary database upgrades too.

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/general

I hope this can help you further in your upgrading process.

/Dennis

Nov 01, 2013 @ 17:38
    Jonathan Hart

I managed to get through 4.7.0 to 4.7.2, with the known errata of an undefined macro causing crash screens in the back office.

I followed the same procedure to go from 4.7.2 to 4.11.8.  When it gets to the database step, it freezes at 5% "Saving database connection."

I have tried the advanced method and defining the actual connection string from the web.config, as well as the pre-populated form field.  The result is the same on both.  The umbraco user has db_owner permissions, so there shouldn't be any kind of permission issue in the database.

• Tom 713 posts 954 karma points
    Jan 31, 2017 @ 05:22
    Tom

Did you ever sort this out? I'm in the same freeze at 5% issue?

I'm trying to go from 4.7.2 -> 4.11

and getting: {"Message":"The application is already configured","StackTrace":" at umbraco.presentation.install.utills.p.installOrUpgrade()","ExceptionType":"System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException"}

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft