Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nikolas van Etten 202 posts 162 karma points
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 01:03
    Nikolas van Etten

4.9 images/media broke?

After updating to 4.9 (from 4.8.1) and accessing either the media section and a image or accessing a content node with images inserted with the DAMP package, I get an YSOD telling me "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."... Frontend seems to be ok, but backend is pretty much screwed right now.

Anyone with similar experience and aware of how to fix? I was really thinking "naah...let's wait for 4.9.1", but decided that I could give it a try and now I'm starting to regret it! ;)

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 07:23
    Niels Hartvig

Did you make sure to update the config settings? In 4.11 - the polish release - we should look at updating this information automatically!

From the download page:

"There’s two new config files in /config (EmbeddedMedia.config, FileSystemProviders.config). 

There are changes to the following config files: Dashboard.config, umbracoSettings.config, tinyMceConfig.config and xsltExtensions.config. The full list of changes can be found here:.

Use a tool like WinMerge to check changes between all of the config files. Depending on when you did this last there have been updates to quite a few of them (ClientDependency, Examine*).

Merge the changes in the web.config, new in 4.9.0 are the FileSystemProviders section in configSections and the new FileSystemProviders key pointing to it’s config file.

When you open your site, you should see the installer which will guide you through the upgrade. It should be quick and painless."

Sep 08, 2012 @ 08:53
    Nikolas van Etten

Niels,

Thanks for spending time at the forum on an early Saturday morning! I did everything according to the guidelines, but will have another look at all config files and check again with a merging tool.

The stack trace looks like this:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Core.IO.FileSystemProviderManager.GetFileSystemProvider(String alias) +38
       Umbraco.Core.IO.FileSystemProviderManager.GetFileSystemProvider() +135
       umbraco.editorControls.uploadfield.DataTypeUploadField.get_DataEditor() +354
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Property p, TabPage tp, String Caption) +144
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.CreateChildControls() +855
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +181
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.OnInit(EventArgs e) +122
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +132
       System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +276
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editMedia.OnInit(EventArgs e) +669
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +132
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1969

• Kasper 31 posts 52 karma points
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 14:29
    Kasper

Had the same error, the filesystemproviders section in web.config solved it for me. 

Sep 09, 2012 @ 20:52
    Nikolas van Etten

It looks as I was missing the same part of web.config, but unfortunately by fixing this it only lead to another media error:

No provider found with the alias 'media'

Stacktrace looks like this:

[ArgumentException: No provider found with the alias 'media'] Umbraco.Core.IO.FileSystemProviderManager.GetFileSystemProvider(String alias) +721 Umbraco.Core.IO.FileSystemProviderManager.GetFileSystemProvider() +136 umbraco.editorControls.uploadfield.DataTypeUploadField.get_DataEditor() +355 umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Property p, TabPage tp, String Caption) +145 umbraco.controls.ContentControl.CreateChildControls() +856 System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +182 umbraco.controls.ContentControl.OnInit(EventArgs e) +123 System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +133 System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +277 umbraco.cms.presentation.editMedia.OnInit(EventArgs e) +670 System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +133 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1970 

All nodes which have images pasted directly in the TinyMCE editor gets the same error and the same goes for the whole media section (when trying to open up an image). I can though open a node with no images pasted in the TinyMCE editor and use DAMP to select images from the media section, so I guess that's at least to be considered as progress... ;)

H...e...l...p!

• Henri Toivonen 77 posts 111 karma points
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 11:14
    Henri Toivonen

Nikolas, check that you have this also:

<FileSystemProviders configSource="config\FileSystemProviders.config" />

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Sep 12, 2012 @ 18:36
    Matthew

Nikolas, did you get this resolved?  I'm thinking of adding DAMP to a 4.7.2 Umbraco but with the media improvements in 4.9.0, I'm trying to decide whether to choose the upgrade, which is afterall inevitable, or adding DAMP and waiting on the upgrade.  I generally try not to be an early adopter but in this case, I want just a little better media handling than 4.7 has.

• Markus Johansson 1902 posts 5706 karma points MVP c-trib
    Sep 12, 2012 @ 21:08
    Markus Johansson

@Matthew - I went from 4.7.0 to 4.9.0 without probs. Only thing you need to make sure is to update web.config and files in the /config/-dir.

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Sep 12, 2012 @ 22:48
    Matthew

Thank you Markus.  I think I'll go ahead and start that on a local copy.  You didn't happen to have DAMP installed on yours?

• Albert 27 posts 49 karma points
    Sep 17, 2012 @ 16:40
    Albert

The first time I tried to upgrade Umbraco to 4.9, I had the same problem. The problem was I didn't modified the config's files. 

After modified those files, umbraco works perfectly except /base method. The problem was App_global.asax dll. Once deleted, umbraco works perfectly with version 4.9.

• Asif Malik 203 posts 339 karma points
    Sep 18, 2012 @ 15:52
    Asif Malik

Hi all, not sure if this is 100% applicable to this message but i have a similair problem. Essentially i have a docuemnt type that has a few Media pickers on it.

When i view a page in the content section all my properties disappear and i get nothing, changing the property to another type (eg label) and the page properties reappear.

After digging around on a clean copy of 4.9 i found out that if you give the property an alias which includes a hypen then the properties disappear ... remove the hypen and everything works correclty.

This probelm appears to only be on the Media picker and DAMP data types.

My short term fix is to chnage all the property alias's to not have hypens ...

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Sep 18, 2012 @ 17:09
    Tom Fulton

Hi Asif,

I don't think hyphens are supported in property aliases.  Ideally we should probably be prevented from typing them in.  If you like you may want to report the issue here:  http://issues.umbraco.org/issues

-Tom

• Phil 31 posts 53 karma points
    Sep 23, 2012 @ 05:18
    Phil

Thank you Henri.

Adding the undocumented step did the trick...

<configuration>

</configuration>

Additionally I still have the "documented" entry in the 

<configSections>

<section name="FileSystemProviders" type="Umbraco.Core.Configuration.FileSystemProvidersSection, Umbraco.Core" 

</configSections>

• Proxicode 127 posts 323 karma points
    Jan 10, 2013 @ 01:06
    Proxicode

Thanks Nikolas & Henri -

I was having the same issue after upgrading from 4.72 to 4.11.1.  Your suggestion to chcek the web.config were exactly right!

I added the following to the <configSections>
    <section name="FileSystemProviders" type="Umbraco.Core.Configuration.FileSystemProvidersSection, Umbraco.Core" requirePermission="false" />

and then added the following just after the </configSections>

Now I am up and running - Thanks again!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft