Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Price 3 posts 23 karma points
    Mar 01, 2011 @ 22:41
    Richard Price

Config problem on installation - ASPNETAJAX

The installation that I carried out failed to work. I am testing on localhost.

If I click on Cassini ASP.NET Server Applicatoins I can see my site in the list underneath Applicatoin and that it has a status of running.
    Edit looks good and the framework for the ASP.NET version is 2.0
    But if I click on the site I get http://localhost:49345/default.aspx and unrecognised configuration section system.web.extensions.

<!-- ASPNETAJAX -->
    Line 154:  <system.web.extensions>

So I checked to see that it was installed using the instructions at

System.Web.Extensions exists with a verion number of 3.5

All frameworks including 4 are installed.

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section system.web.extensions.

Source Error:

Line 152:
    Line 153:  <!-- ASPNETAJAX -->
    Line 155:    <scripting>
    Line 156:      <scriptResourceHandler enableCompression="true" enableCaching="true" />

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\biologicalRecording\web.config    Line: 154

If I click on Cassini ASP.NET Server Applicatoins I can see my site in the list underneath Applicatoin and that it has a status of running.
    Edit looks good and the framework for the ASP.NET version is 2.0
    But if I click on the site I get http://localhost:49345/default.aspx and unrecognised configuration section system.web.extensions.

<!-- ASPNETAJAX -->

So I checked to see that it was installed using the instructions at

System.Web.Extensions exists with a verion number of 3.5

All frameworks including 4 are installed.

I found a post on the subject. http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/10776-Unrecognized-configuration-section-systemwebextensions

Previously the installation attempt was with Umbraco_4_5_2_for_NET_4.zip

I downloaded Umbraco_4.7_RC_WebDeploy.zip

Do I start again how do I do this recover from a partially successful installation attempt.

Best regards,

Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section system.web.extensions.

Source Error:

Line 152:
    Line 153:  <!-- ASPNETAJAX -->
    Line 155:    <scripting>
    Line 156:      <scriptResourceHandler enableCompression="true" enableCaching="true" />

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\biologicalRecording\web.config    Line: 154

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 01, 2011 @ 22:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Richard

Maybe some of the thoughts in this post could point you in the right direction? http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/10233-Running-Umbraco-45-on-Cassini

/Jan

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Mar 02, 2011 @ 00:02
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Richard,

had a lot of fun with system.web.extensions and different .Net versions myself. Can you please try and remove that whole system.web.extensions entry from the web.config and see how it goes?

Cheers,

Sascha

Mar 22, 2011 @ 22:27
    Richard Price

Thanks Sascha,

There is forward movement but not quite there yet. The next error that I get is;

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'targetFramework'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive.

Source Error:

Line 104:    </httpHandlers>
    Line 105:
    Line 106:    <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" batch="false" targetFramework="4.0">
    Line 107:      <assemblies>
    Line 108:        <!-- ASP.NET 4.0 Assemblies -->

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\biologicalRecording\web.config    Line: 106

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4952; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4955

Mar 23, 2011 @ 11:57
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Richard,

The new error message makes it now very clear, I should have noticed that before: You won't have any luck running Umbraco v4.7 on the .Net framework 2, the last version which ran with .Net 2 is Umbraco v. 4.0.4.2. Any change you can switch the .Net version in your Cassini server/site to 4? If you can't installing the .Net Framework 4 might be a solution (as you have that already installed try to uninstall it or if that fails as well search on the net how you can register asp.net with the Cassini server), I'm afraid I don't have that much experience with Cassini myself to give you exact instructions on how to get .Net 4 running with it. 

You should then be able to use the original web.config without any modifications.

Hope that helps,

Sascha

Apr 06, 2011 @ 10:11
    Richard Price

Thanks Sasha,

I have MS Visual Studio 2010 installed on the notebook that I am attempting to install Umbraco on. The VS works fine. It is only the Umbraco that does not work via Cassini.

I think that the download file I used is Umbraco_4_5_2_for_NET_4 is there a way that I can confirm that this is the file I installed from? The other file in my downloads director is Umbraco_4.7_RC_Webdeploy and v4.5.1_for_net_3_5

Is it easy to uninstall and start again?

I have monthly payments to a course that I haven't been able to use because I haven't got Umbraco working locally. Is it a better option to pay for hosting of a website and learn that way? I have a number of projects that I want to start and choose Umbraco because I am a .NET developer therefore having Visual Studio and Umbraco on the same machine should help me develop sites.

All the best,

Richard.

Apr 06, 2011 @ 10:25
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Richard,

it is quite easy to start all over again, and in your case probably the best option. Just delete the files and the database and you are fine, then create everything again. However you should definitely first check which .Net version you currently have installed and Cassini can work with. If you only have .Net 2 then you should revert back to Umbraco 4.0.4.2, which is not ideal but will work for your courses. On the other hand getting .Net 4.0 installed (should be installed anyway as you have VS2010 on your laptop) is done pretty easily as well, if Cassini can't handle it or you don't know how (haven't worked with Cassini before so afraid I can't help you there) you can use the build in IIS server, IIS Express or the Visual Studio built-in web server.

The first thing I'll probably do is to try out the 4.7 web deploy package.

Let us know how it goes,

Sascha

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft