Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luca Anchini 9 posts 29 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 15:01
    Luca Anchini

Installing Umbraco and get Runtime error instead setup page

Hi, all

I'm just enter in Umbraco world and I'm looking for learnin how to use and develop it for the best. In the first try to install it on a shared hosting service with all requirement for umbraco (.Net 4, Integrated, Win 2008 R2, MSSQL 2008 and so on) I've uploaded all the items inside the build directory of the reccomended manual download package of the last version of umbraco 4.5.2 in a subdirectory of my website space:

www.gamewebradio.com/gamecore/

Before do it I've unchecked for all files the property option "only read", and after upload I've set the permission of all subdirectory and all files to Complete control.

As you could see from the address above I get runtime error... How solve this probelm to start to install Umbraco correctly?

Thank you so much

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 15:04
    Jamie Howarth

Hi Luca,

Could you turn customErrors off so we can see the stack trace and help you further?

Thanks,

Benjamin

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 15:06
    Darren Ferguson

Start by reading the error message and doing as it says:

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Once you've done this post the actual error here, for us to help you.

Dec 23, 2010 @ 15:39
    Luca Anchini

This is the result after set off the customerrors:

Security Exception

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationPermission, System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' failed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Dec 27, 2010 @ 17:08
    Luca Anchini

I've contacted my ISP and they say that the shared hosting I use support only Medium trust. I've read and tryed the suggestion of the other thread of this forum but it's not enough...

So UMBRACO can work only in dedicated server?

Thank you.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 27, 2010 @ 20:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Luca

What ISP are you using and what steps have you taken to get medium trust to work?

Umbraco is running on other hosts that only allow medium trust so I know that it is possible. Even though it does not seem like it's as easy to deal with Umbraco in medium trust as in full trust environments. It can at times be very frustrating to deal with installation issues etc. but we are all here to try and help you out.

Umbraco runs fine on shared hosts but it's not neccesarily all ISP that supports Umbraco. You don't need a dedicated server to make it run.

/Jan

Dec 28, 2010 @ 01:02
    Luca Anchini

The ISP using is www.register.it and the assistance staff say me that I can use only medium trust and the software cannot override their security policy.

I've modified the web.config as written in the thread dedicated to medium trust decommented some instruction like

<!-- <trust level="Medium" originUrl=".*" />-->

<add key="umbracoUseMediumTrust" value="true" />

But nothing change on the server, and I get always the same error.

I'm trying another opensource CMS but the problem continues.. so I think to have to change provider, then I'll try again.

Dec 28, 2010 @ 03:43
    Jamie Howarth

Hi Luca,

Just tested on GoDaddy now for you (IIS7, .NET 4, MSSQL), and I'm getting the same error. Strange that the .NET 3.5 version works fine though.

Will debug and upload a patch to Codeplex.

Best,

Benjamin

Dec 28, 2010 @ 04:33
    Jamie Howarth

Hi Luca,

Found it - add requirePermission="false" to the following lines in the web.config:

<section name="clientDependency" type="ClientDependency.Core.Config.ClientDependencySection, ClientDependency.Core"/>
    <section name="Examine" type="Examine.Config.ExamineSettings, Examine"/>
    <section name="ExamineLuceneIndexSets" type="UmbracoExamine.Config.ExamineLuceneIndexes, UmbracoExamine"/>

So that they read as so:

<section name="clientDependency" type="ClientDependency.Core.Config.ClientDependencySection, ClientDependency.Core" requirePermission="false"/>
    <section name="Examine" type="Examine.Config.ExamineSettings, Examine" requirePermission="false"/>
    <section name="ExamineLuceneIndexSets" type="UmbracoExamine.Config.ExamineLuceneIndexes, UmbracoExamine" requirePermission="false"/>

Tested on IIS7 on Windows 7, with Medium Trust enabled at web.config level, got an Umbraco installation screen first-time.

HTH,

Benjamin

EDIT: Also tested on GoDaddy shared hosting, IIS7, .NET4, also works first-time.

Dec 28, 2010 @ 12:12
    Luca Anchini

Thank you Benjamin,

I'll try it until I've the possibility and will post the results... I hope in good ;)

Dec 29, 2010 @ 14:59
    Luca Anchini

After following your suggestion it seems run perfectly.

Thank you for hand, for now;)

Can I suggest you to insert those code lines into a umbraco package for shared hosting?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 15:07
    Tom Fulton

FYI, the web.config on the 3.5 download already has the requirePermissions attributes set, not sure why the 4.0 one doesn't, might be helpful for them to both have them set already

Dec 29, 2010 @ 15:23
    Jamie Howarth

Hi Luca,

The Umbraco HQ needs to update the web.config that's distributed with the .NET4 download.

Best,

Benjamin

• Carlos Casalicchio 169 posts 698 karma points
    Jan 11, 2011 @ 00:07
    Carlos Casalicchio

Hooray! This solution has worked for me!

I just upgraded my IIS7 to .NET 4 with Godaddy.com because I also run a nopCommerce in a virtual directory. The nopCommerce version 1.90 requires .NET 4. As soon as I installed umbraco .NET 4 I got the same Security Exception. No help from Godaddy Support - All they did was offer me a url to choose a dedicated hosting plan.

Now, with the simple web.config change the site is up again. Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft