Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Simpson 8 posts 78 karma points
    Apr 26, 2018 @ 13:36
    Andrew Simpson

Can i create an umbraco website from an umbraco website?

Is it possible to crate a web site from Umbraco that in turn when published can create a 'Child' Umbraco web site?

• Mark 91 posts -18 karma points
    Apr 27, 2018 @ 08:15
    Mark

If you mean Multiteneted, the answer is yes. Umbraco allows to create multiple websites under one instance and those websites can inherit from each other if needed.

Apr 27, 2018 @ 08:20
    Andrew Simpson

Cool. But can these sites be contained in different solutions? So, when I create my Template the View is created in the current solution. But can I have it in another solution?

Apr 27, 2018 @ 09:20
    Mark

Yes, if I understand correctly, you can use a Template from one site in another site.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 27, 2018 @ 09:27
    Nik

Hi Andrew,

Could you clarify what do you mean?

You can have a single instance of Umbraco running multiple sites, which is what I think Mark is referring. This isn't a particular problem, although there are nuances that can impact sites.

The Multi-Tennant approach for Umbraco would mean all your views etc are all stored within the same Views folder on disk. You would also only have 1 back office as well.

However, you've mentioned about "multiple solutions", do you mean multiple visual studio solutions? If so, the answer is most likely no.

Nik

Apr 27, 2018 @ 09:29
    Andrew Simpson

Hi, we have a standup now :) be back in 10 thank u

Apr 27, 2018 @ 10:29
    Andrew Simpson

Thanks All. We have been given a different plan to follow.

Sorry my question was not clear enough. I was having issues determining what to ask.

Shouldl I delete my post?

Thanks

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 27, 2018 @ 10:30
    Nik

Hi Andrew,

You don't have to delete your post. But if you wanted to clarify what you were trying to ask, and what solution you've gone with that would be worth sharing as it might help someone else in the same situation :-)

Nik

Apr 27, 2018 @ 10:36
    Andrew Simpson

Hi Nik

When you create an Umbraco site any views are saved in the same solution.

I wanted to know if these Views created could be stored and referenced from outside its solution -even in a separate asp.net solution.

It looked like it could not be. I did look at the database created to see if the templates path could be changed on the fly.

I was exploring whether I could create a new asp.net solution and process start Umbraco and pass in separate db connection string relating to different clients.

All this seemed 'wiry' to me and fortunately my project leader agreed so..

We are just going to use Umbraco in the 'normal' way, and have many views that relate to 1 web site and for any new web sites create a new Umbraco project. All projects will reference common libraries externally.

Hope this all makes sense?

Apr 27, 2018 @ 11:04
    Mark

So, was the goal to have a boilerplate Umbraco instance that you could then reuse for different clients?

If so there are a few ways of approaching this, it is an interesting topic and a lot of digital agencies use this approach with varying degrees of success.

Apr 27, 2018 @ 11:11
    Andrew Simpson

Hi Mark,

Yes - spot on!

I have been using Umbraco for 2 days now but already I can see this is an interesting topic to explore!

Apr 27, 2018 @ 15:01
    Mark

What I tend to do is have a Visual Studio Solution Template that creates Umbraco solutions in a particular way I like, i.e

• MySolution.Website (Umbraco)
    • MySolution.BusinesLogic (Collection of classes, services, helpers
      that I reuse)
    • MySolution.Plugins (Any custom plugins I use)
    • MySolution.FrontEnd (Bower, SASS, node stuff for frontend and design)

Then I use my own custom packages to populate the Umbraco project with Document, Data Types and Templates that I reuse across projects.

Apr 27, 2018 @ 15:11
    Andrew Simpson

Yes, that looks a good way to do things.

Do you know if we can set the Umbraco Database connection (ie pointing to a SQL Server DB etc) and if so, if the DB does not exist is it created by default and if it does exist does it just reference it without purging existing data?

Thanks for your time BTW.

(just realised I can 'High Five' you)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft