Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Apr 24, 2018 @ 11:55
    Fredrik Esseen

Best practice storing booking data

Hi all!

Im about to reengineer an old booking system built on Umbraco 4.7 and Webforms into Umbraco 7.10 and MVC and looking at the best practice to store booking data.

In the old version I created a separate table to store the information as I was afraid that the node system would crumble as there are about 4000-5000 bookings that will be registered. And when the booking system is opened everybody is booking in a very short of time, so the website is under hard pressure.

In the latest version of Umbraco, what if I create nodes with the information instead of a separate table? The benefits would be that its easier to work with the booking info inside Umbraco instead of building a separate admin for that, its also easier to search and its easier to work with the Umbraco API.

Are there any problems of creating a ton of nodes?

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 24, 2018 @ 12:07
    Dan Diplo

Whilst in some scenarios it makes sense to store data within Umbraco (ie. there isn't that much; you need editors to be able to amend it or it needs to be displayed on the site) this isn't one.

Apart from performance concerns you are also going to have security concerns - in the days of GDPR booking data needs to be held securely and putting it within the website content isn't the best idea.

If I were you I'd look at the project Fluidity - it allows you to easily created database-driven CRUD applications within Umbraco. Read the docs at https://umco.github.io/umbraco-fluidity/

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Apr 24, 2018 @ 12:10
    Fredrik Esseen

Fluidity looks awesome!

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft