Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bunnynut 136 posts 318 karma points
    Oct 13, 2017 @ 11:47
    Bunnynut

Encrypting data of certain documenttypes

Hi there,

I have to build an application in which Umbraco-members will be able to create profiles of their clients. This would be a lot easier if i could create a documenttype of type Client to handle everything for me. The data in question is rather sensitive so I am investigating what my options are. Is it for example possible to encrypt the propertyvalues of a specific documenttype? And if so what would be the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Oct 13, 2017 @ 11:58
    Laurence Gillian

It may be worth thinking about encryption at the SQL Server level (TDE), you can then encrypted the entire database, and avoid any additional application development cost.

However, if you did want to encrypt at an application level, you could write your own data-type that encrypted/decrypted the stored values.

We've done this in the past, and use the standard text string editor as a starting point, and then made a few adjustments to support this. It's not a massive amount of work, but some care should be taken to make sure what you are doing actually solves the problem ;-)

Oct 13, 2017 @ 12:58
    Bunnynut

Hi Laurence,

Thank you for your reply.

Encryption at SQL server would actually be a good solution, it would save me the trouble of writing the code to handle this. Will Umbraco automatically be able to work as usual when using encryption this way?

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    Mar 06, 2018 @ 13:59
    Jonathan Roberts

Hi,

Did you need to change any code to get TDE working?

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Oct 13, 2017 @ 13:27
    Laurence Gillian

Yes, you should be fine.

We have some customers who use TDE and we have not experienced any issues with Umbraco 7. In theory turning on TDE shouldn't effect any database / application.

It might be worth creating an Microsoft Azure SQL database and having a bit of play!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/encryption/transparent-data-encryption-azure-sql

Good luck! Laurie

Oct 13, 2017 @ 13:33
    Bunnynut

I will definitely try it out, thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft