Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alexandre Demers 3 posts 73 karma points
    Jun 09, 2017 @ 19:30
    Alexandre Demers

ArgumentOutOfRangeException after programmaticaly creating a user and trying to connect to umbraco with said user

Hi,

I have a webservice that creates users for me using a pre-existing database. I can create the users and everything is fine. When I connect to Umbraco (using a user account that wasn't created by my program), I can see all of my users. But when I try to log in with one of the account I created, it gives me this error (and doesn't connect).

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: length 

Stacktrace 
    at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.MembershipProviderBase.StoredPassword(String storedString, String& salt)
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.MembershipProviderBase.CheckPassword(String password, String dbPassword)
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.MembershipPasswordHasher.VerifyHashedPassword(String hashedPassword, String providedPassword)
       at Microsoft.AspNet.Identity.UserManager`2.<VerifyPasswordAsync>d__3e.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Microsoft.AspNet.Identity.UserManager`2.<CheckPasswordAsync>d__17.MoveNext()
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.BackOfficeUserManager`1.<CheckPasswordAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.BackOfficeSignInManager.<PasswordSignInAsyncImpl>d__4.MoveNext()
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.BackOfficeSignInManager.<PasswordSignInAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Umbraco.Web.Editors.AuthenticationController.<PostLogin>d__f.MoveNext()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskHelpersExtensions.<CastToObject>d__3`1.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<ExecuteActionFilterAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<ExecuteActionFilterAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Dispatcher.HttpControllerDispatcher.<SendAsync>d__1.MoveNext()

I think the problem is because of the password, but I've tried with numerous password lengh, and it doesn't change anything. No special characters either.

Here's the code I've used :

public string CreateAppUser(int id, string networkUserAccess, string firstName, string lastName, string password, bool isAdmin)
            {
                Umbraco.Core.Services.IUserService UserService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.UserService;
                //generate a temporary email
                string emailAddress = string.Format("{0}.{1}@temporary.com", firstName, lastName);
                try
                {
                    if (UserService.GetByEmail(emailAddress) == null)
                    {
                        //creer le user
                        IUser newUser = UserService.CreateWithIdentity(networkUserAccess,
                            string.Format("{0}.{1}@temporary.com", firstName, lastName),
                            password, (isAdmin) ? "admin" : "editor");
                        //change parameters
                        newUser.Id = id;
                        UserService.Save(newUser);
                        return string.Format("User {0} successfuly created", newUser.Name);
                    }
                    return "The user's email (ID " + id + ") was already taken. The user hasn't been created";
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                    return "The user (ID " + id + ") couldn't be created : " + ex.Message;
                }
            }

Does anyone know what the problem is?

• Filur 20 posts 154 karma points
    Jun 19, 2017 @ 15:25
    Filur

Try using the Umbraco member service and save the password explicitly: umbracoMemberService.SavePassword(member, password);

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft