Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• K.Garrein 164 posts 629 karma points
    May 24, 2017 @ 07:54
    K.Garrein

Unable to set value of content picker

Hey all,

I'm having this little issue. I don't seem to be able to set the value of a content picker data type.

I have 2 Document Types:

• Product

• Ordered Product

Ordered Product has a property "Product Picker" (new data type based on content picker).

I need to set the value programmatically, but I don't seem to be able to get that to work :'(

My code: (cntsvc is my ContentService)

var Product = UmbHelper.TypedContent( productId );
    var OrderedProduct = cntsvc.CreateContent( productname, parentId, "orderedProduct" );
    OrderedProduct.SetValue( "productPicker", Product.Id );
    cntsvc.SaveAndPublishWithStatus( OrderedProduct );

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to set some other value other than the Id ?

Thank you.

K.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 24, 2017 @ 08:07
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi

What version of Umbraco are you using? If it's 7.6 you have to use UID instead of ID.

Thanks,

Alex

May 24, 2017 @ 08:14
    K.Garrein

Version = 7.6.1

How do I get the UID? IPublishedContent doesn't seem to have such a property...

Thanks

May 24, 2017 @ 08:20
    Alex Skrypnyk
    var node =
    ApplicationContext.Services.ContentService.GetById(productId);

var locaUdi = Udi.Create(Constants.UdiEntityType.Document, node.Key);

var OrderedProduct = cntsvc.CreateContent( productname, parentId, "orderedProduct" );
    OrderedProduct.SetValue( "productPicker", locaUdi );

May 24, 2017 @ 08:25
    K.Garrein

Error:

The best overloaded method match for 'Umbraco.Core.Models.ContentBase.SetPropertyValue(string, string)' has some invalid arguments

May 24, 2017 @ 08:28
    Alex Skrypnyk
    OrderedProduct.SetValue( "productPicker", locaUdiю.ToString() );

May 24, 2017 @ 08:33
    K.Garrein

That worked :) Thank you!

But why is this all necessary, there is no documentation about this (as far as I can tell) and the previous way of doing it (with an integer Id) seems much more straightforward to me!?

Anyway, thanks again!

May 24, 2017 @ 08:44
    Alex Skrypnyk

You are welcome! Glad to help.

I think there are not so many documentation because it's pretty new feature. And Guys from HQ haven't enough time for upgrading all stuff. Maybe we can contribute to documentation section ) Nice idea.

Alex

• Kevin 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jan 11, 2018 @ 15:28
    Kevin

I tried Alex's approach in 7.7.6, and it half works; it does save successfully, when I go to the edit page I see the correct related document, but when I try loading the published page I get some errors in my template accessing the related document's properties.

In terms of the OP's original example, this

CurrentPage.ProductPicker.Name

would fail with error 'Umbraco.Core.GuidUdi' does not contain a definition for 'Name', and this

Model.Content.ProductPicker.Name

Would fail with error Object reference not set to an instance of an object, ProductPicker being null.

Any idea why?

[EDIT]

I think I figured it out. The related document was also created via the ContentService, and when I check its properties, the "Link to document" says "This document is published but is not in the cache". After I click "Save and publish", I get an actual link to document and after I click "preview" the original problem I had is fixed. This is not ideal, as I have 300+ more documents I will create via the ContentService, but at least I can move on.

• Jonathan Richards 288 posts 1742 karma points MVP
    May 24, 2017 @ 08:12
    Jonathan Richards

Hi K,

If like myself you only ever use Multi Node Tree Pickers, instead of the actual real Content Picker, because of their superior capabilities then you need to set the value to a string.

var OrderedProduct = cntsvc.CreateContent( productname, parentId, "orderedProduct", 0 );
    OrderedProduct.SetValue( "productPicker", productId.ToString() );

If you really are using the old Content Picker data type, then yeah memory serves me right, it does take an int. So I'm not sure what the issue is - presuming the alias of the property field really is 'productPicker' etc.

Cheers

Jonathan

May 24, 2017 @ 08:20
    K.Garrein

I am using a Content Picker data type, not a Multinode Treepicker.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft