Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Harry Stewart 15 posts 95 karma points
    Apr 07, 2017 @ 10:40
    Harry Stewart

Detect backoffice user login and logout

I'm creating a package which requires me to detect when a user in the back office logins or logs out does anyone know the best practice for this or if there is an event I can hook into

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2017 @ 11:02
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Harry

Do you want an user authenticating event?

You can define is user logged in with this code:

using Umbraco.Core.Security;
    var ticket = new System.Web.HttpContextWrapper(System.Web.HttpContext.Current).GetUmbracoAuthTicket();
    if (ticket != null) {
    var user = Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext.Current.Services.UserService.GetByUsername(ticket.Name);
    }

Thanks

Alex

Apr 07, 2017 @ 11:10
    Harry Stewart

Ah okay thanks, I've been using that so far but I need to receive or be able to hook into an event that I can override when the User logins and logs out, as what you suggested only gets the current context when you request the context and I don't wanna have to poll th server.

Thanks, Harry

Apr 07, 2017 @ 11:24
    Alex Skrypnyk

Haryy

Did you try to hook into membership events?

I think it's possible to do like in this post:

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/30522-How-to-subscribe-to-backend-login-event-if-existing-else-alternative-solution#comment-113339

Thanks,

Alex

Apr 07, 2017 @ 11:29
    Harry Stewart

I'll give this ago thanks!

Thanks, Harry

Apr 07, 2017 @ 11:29
    Alex Skrypnyk

You are welcome, Harry.

Have a nice weekend!

/Alex

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 07, 2017 @ 11:32
    Dan Diplo

It doesn't look, to me, like there are any events raised in the BackOfficeSignInManager class Umbraco (I think) uses for this. Maybe something in the base classes, but I'm not aware that Owin authentication has any events.

All I can think is that you'd have to implement a custom Identity sign-in manager that raises an event and then calls the Umbraco one. I'm not sure if this is possible, but generally Identity is extensible and pluggable. There's some info on this in this Issue here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-7032 and https://shazwazza.com/post/configuring-aspnet-identity-oauth-login-providers-for-multi-tenancy/

• Bernard Moes 16 posts 138 karma points
    May 16, 2018 @ 08:33
    Bernard Moes

With the newer Umbraco versions you would have to override authentication methods in OWIN to execute custom code on login and signout. For my project I had to do something similar. The code sample below will probably help you. I don't have a sample for the logout part but this will probably guide you in the right direction.

public class Startup : UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup
    {
        protected override void ConfigureUmbracoUserManager(IAppBuilder app)
        {
            app.ConfigureUserManagerForUmbracoBackOffice<BackOfficeUserManager, BackOfficeIdentityUser>(
                ApplicationContext,
                (options, context) =>
                {
                    var membershipProvider = MembershipProviderExtensions.GetUsersMembershipProvider().AsUmbracoMembershipProvider();
                    var settingContent = UmbracoConfig.For.UmbracoSettings().Content;

var userManager = BackOfficeUserManager.Create(options,
                        ApplicationContext.Current.Services.UserService,
                        ApplicationContext.Current.Services.EntityService,
                        ApplicationContext.Current.Services.ExternalLoginService,
                        membershipProvider,
                        settingContent);

userManager.BackOfficeUserPasswordChecker = new CustomBackofficePasswordChecker();

return userManager;
                });
        }
    }

public class CustomBackofficePasswordChecker : IBackOfficeUserPasswordChecker
    {
        public async Task<BackOfficeUserPasswordCheckerResult> CheckPasswordAsync(BackOfficeIdentityUser user, string password)
        {
            //Execute custom code

return BackOfficeUserPasswordCheckerResult.FallbackToDefaultChecker;
        }
    }

• Jason 3 posts 73 karma points
    Oct 01, 2021 @ 18:03
    Jason

This code works well on Umbraco 8. I am trying to replicate the same scenario in Umbraco 9 (execute custom code on login and signout) but unfortunately OWIN methods do not exist in .NET Core/5 thus Umbraco 9. What methods are available or is there any other way I could do this for Umbraco 9. Your reply would be mostly appreciated.

• Jay 413 posts 639 karma points
    Oct 24, 2023 @ 14:46
    Jay

Jason, do you manage to figure this out?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft