Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Ritshie 35 posts 100 karma points
    Mar 14, 2017 @ 19:32
    Scott Ritshie

Hello,

I'm creating a simple auction where customers will register and be able to bid on an item. I'm unsure of the model to use in choosing what data is stored in Umbraco and what is in custom tables, but I've outlined my initial thoughts below.

Outside of Umbraco and in same db using EF, there'd be these tables:

• Bidders
    • Orders
    • Bids (relational)

My first thought is to have the auction items in Umbraco. I'd need to tie-in the item Id with its bidders in the Bids table, which would contain Bids.BidId (pk), Bids.BidderIdPk (foreign key to Bidders.BidderId), Bids.ItemId (Umbraco id), Bids.BidAmount and Bids.BidDate. Also need to show all bids/bidder for that item as a read-only field for each item in Umbraco.

Questions 1) How can I bring external relational data into Umbraco as a read-only list? nuPickers Sql Labels with WHERE that joins Umbraco item id (Bids.ItemId) with Bidders.BidderId seems easiest. 2) Any thoughts or suggestions that differ than mine so far? It'd be great to toss some architecture ideas back and forth before proceeding.

Thanks so very much for any assistance. Scott

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2017 @ 22:30
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Scott

What about creating web api for external data? Especially if you need only GET data, it will work fine.

Also I would like to use PetaPOCO or Dapper for just getting data for api, EF looks heavy for such types of project.

Thanks,

Alex

Mar 18, 2017 @ 17:40
    Scott Ritshie

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check out PetaPOCO and Dapper, as I'm not familiar with what they do, although I've read about Umbraco using PP in its engine.

I've been working with EF for the past month and have found it to be very easy and intuitive to use. What about it have you found is heavy?

Thanks, Scott

Mar 18, 2017 @ 23:19
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Scott

EF definitely heavier than PP and it's already in Umbraco. And if you need only 3 tables with few methods - I would like to do it with PP.

EF is great in separate database and access via API from Umbraco project.

Thanks,

Alex

Mar 22, 2017 @ 13:28
    Mar 23, 2017 @ 18:29
    Scott Ritshie

Hey Alex,

Thanks again for the help. I moved the application that existed within the Umbraco site to a separate application using EF. I also installed PP and played with it a little. Seems pretty easy, so again, thanks for the help!

Scott

Mar 23, 2017 @ 20:39
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Scott, you are welcome! Thanks for sharing.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft