Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daryl 21 posts 114 karma points
    Mar 03, 2017 @ 13:18
    Daryl

Limit backoffice access to member-created pages only

Hi guys. I am planning on building a site where members can modify their own pages.

My plan was to create an identical login for a member and a user, and use the backoffice to allow the member (now user) to add and modify their own pages and content.

I don't want them to be able to see or even be aware of any content or pages other than their own. Is this possible?

Thanks!

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 23:12
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Daryl

Whilst the idea is probably technically do-able, you would end up with the member/user having 2 logins, which are not synchronised in terms of passwords, etc, (unless you write custom code to do so) and then they would have to log in to the admin area to manage their content, etc.

I honestly think it would be better from both a user experience, and an ongoing site management perspective to build the functionality within a members area.

The member record could have a custom field on it to save the node id of their page, and then in the controllers, you write the logic to perform the content updates, publishing, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Nigel

Mar 10, 2017 @ 09:34
    Daryl

Thanks for that Nigel. Building the functionality into the front end almsot makes choosing Umbraco a bit pointless though - I was trying to get away from building my own CMS!

Mar 11, 2017 @ 00:09
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Daryl

Yes it does mean replicating, to a certain extent, the functionality already available within the admin section, but fundamentally the 2 areas and purposes are quite different.

Having said that if you believe that the members can cope with the 2 differing logins to manage the information then:

1. Create the node / page that the member will be able to edit.
    2. Create the member login
    3. Create the user login and select the start node as the node created in step 1 above. When creating the user login make sure you only enable the areas the user should be able to access.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Nigel

Mar 11, 2017 @ 02:10
    Daryl

That was the plan, as I thought I could hiack the 'Change Password' process to change it for both User and Member so it wouldn't be too much of an issue for them.

My main concern is what the User can see once logged in to the backoffice - for these members (certain group), I only want them to see their own member pages, no others. Can I limit this in the back office?

It doesn't sound like it should be too much trouble, just limiting to the nodes created by that user (and for that user, I have to work that out to!), but I have no idea where to even start!

Mar 11, 2017 @ 02:51
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Daryl

I assume you have a test site.

If so, create some test nodes in the content area.

Then go to the user section in the admin area and create a test user. You select the "start" node for the user, so select a test node you created. Save the user.

Then log out of the admin area and log back in as the test user.

The should help provide an idea of how it might work.

Cheers

Nigel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft