Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roeland Hermans 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 02, 2017 @ 16:11
    Roeland Hermans

Preview not working when using custom Startup file with app.UseOAuthBearerAuthentication

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project where we use OAuth bearer authentication to secure some of the web APIs.

Everything works fine, except for the preview in Umbraco. The startup class looks like this:

[assembly: OwinStartup(typeof(Site.Owin.Startup))]
    namespace Site.Owin
    {
        public class Startup : UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup
        {
            public override void Configuration(IAppBuilder app)
            {
                base.Configuration(app);
                app.UseOAuthBearerAuthentication(new OAuthBearerAuthenticationOptions());
            }
        }
    }

The web.config app setting looks like this:

<add key="owin:appStartup" value="Site.Owin.Startup" />

As soon as I remove app.UseOAuthBearerAuthentication the preview works again. Any ideas on this?

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 08:18
    Jeroen Breuer

A bit more info about this issue from my colleague. I debugged the Umbraco source code and I discovered that UmbracoContext.Current.InPreviewMode always returns false. Even after pressing the preview button.

In the DetectInPreviewModeFromRequest method Security.CurrentUser returns null. Going a few methods deeper the problem is in the AuthenticationExtensions.cs GetCurrentIdentity method.

The problem lies in this code:

//Check if there's more than one identity assigned and see if it's a UmbracoBackOfficeIdentity and use that
    var claimsPrincipal = http.User as ClaimsPrincipal;
    if (claimsPrincipal != null)
    {
        backOfficeIdentity = claimsPrincipal.Identities.OfType<UmbracoBackOfficeIdentity>().FirstOrDefault();
        if (backOfficeIdentity != null) return backOfficeIdentity;

When I debug this code with <add key="owin:appStartup" value="UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup" /> in the web.config claimsPrincipal.Identities has 2 items:

[0] = {System.Security.Principal.GenericIdentity}
    [1] = {Umbraco.Core.Security.UmbracoBackOfficeIdentity}

When I debug with <add key="owin:appStartup" value="Site.Owin.Startup" /> in the web.config claimsPrincipal.Identities only has 1 item:

[0] = {System.Security.Principal.GenericIdentity}

So somehow when we use our own OwinStartup with app.UseOAuthBearerAuthentication(new OAuthBearerAuthenticationOptions()); we're missing Umbraco.Core.Security.UmbracoBackOfficeIdentity. We need this code for token based authentication.

Do we need to configure something extra to get the correct backoffice identity?

Jeroen

Feb 03, 2017 @ 10:42
    Jeroen Breuer

If was fixed by doing the same thing as in this topic: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/extending-umbraco-and-using-the-api/80088-preview-with-custom-backoffice-authentication

This is the code now:

[assembly: OwinStartup(typeof(Site.Owin.Startup))]
    namespace Site.Owin
    {
        public class Startup : UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup
        {
            public override void Configuration(IAppBuilder app)
            {
                base.Configuration(app);

// We need to set these values again after our custom changes. Otherwise preview doesn't work.
                app.UseUmbracoBackOfficeCookieAuthentication(this.ApplicationContext)
                    .UseUmbracoBackOfficeExternalCookieAuthentication(this.ApplicationContext)
                    .UseUmbracoPreviewAuthentication(this.ApplicationContext);
            }
        }
    }

We thought we didn't need to set those values because they we're already being set in base.Configuration(app);, but they need to be set again after we made some changes to IAppBuilder.

Jeroen

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Feb 06, 2017 @ 01:46
    Shannon Deminick

If you have a look at the source there are better methods to override for what you need: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/dev-v7/src/Umbraco.Web/UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup.cs

override ConfigureMiddleware for dealing with middleware, override ConfigureServices for configuring services for the OWIN context

You must also make sure you call everything including .FinalizeMiddlewareConfiguration();

Feb 06, 2017 @ 10:32
    Jeroen Breuer

Thank Shannon,

It's now solved like this:

protected override void ConfigureMiddleware(IAppBuilder app)
    {
        base.ConfigureMiddleware(app);
    }

Jeroen

• Roeland Hermans 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 06, 2017 @ 07:44
    Roeland Hermans

Thank you for providing this information!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft