Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Frederik Raabye 72 posts 276 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Aug 10, 2016 @ 09:01
    Frederik Raabye

Account (auto)linking not working with Owin AD FS/WS-Federation authentication

I am attempting to implement claims based authentication to the back office (7.4.3) with an on-premise AD FS server using WS-Federation.

I have followed the steps in identity provider documentation and the provider button is showing as expected at the login screen.

However, after a succesful login at the federation server I receive this error "The requested provider (https://logon.domain.tld/adfs/services/trust) has not been linked to to an account", even though I added ExternalSignInAutoLinkOptions. Login error after succesful authentication at the federation server.

When logging in to the back office with an existing user the button for manual account linking is shown. Unfortunately, nothing appears to happens when it is clicked:

Back office user profile

My Owin startup and authentication extensions look like this:

public class ConfigureOwinStartup
    {
        public static void Configuration(IAppBuilder app)
        {
            // Configure back office users membership provider
            app.ConfigureUserManagerForUmbracoBackOffice(
                ApplicationContext.Current,
                MembershipProviderExtensions.GetUsersMembershipProvider().AsUmbracoMembershipProvider());

// Ensure OWIN is configured for Umbraco back office authentication
            app.UseUmbracoBackOfficeCookieAuthentication(ApplicationContext.Current)
               .UseUmbracoBackOfficeExternalCookieAuthentication(ApplicationContext.Current);

app.UseCookieAuthentication(new CookieAuthenticationOptions
            {
                AuthenticationType = DefaultAuthenticationTypes.ApplicationCookie
            });

// Configure additional back office authentication options            
            app.ConfigureBackOfficeAdfsAuthentication();

}
    }

public static class AdfsAuthenticationExtensions
    {
        public static void ConfigureBackOfficeAdfsAuthentication(
            this IAppBuilder app,
            string caption = "AD FS",
            string style = "btn-microsoft",
            string icon = "fa-windows")
        {
            var adfsMetadataEndpoint = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["AdfsMetadataEndpoint"];
            var adfsRelyingParty = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["AdfsRelyingParty"];

var wsFedOptions = new WsFederationAuthenticationOptions
            {
                Wtrealm = adfsRelyingParty,
                MetadataAddress = adfsMetadataEndpoint,
                AuthenticationType = WsFederationAuthenticationDefaults.AuthenticationType,
                SignInAsAuthenticationType = Constants.Security.BackOfficeExternalAuthenticationType,        
        Caption = caption
            };

wsFedOptions.SetExternalSignInAutoLinkOptions(new ExternalSignInAutoLinkOptions(autoLinkExternalAccount: true));
            wsFedOptions.ForUmbracoBackOffice(style, icon);
            app.UseWsFederationAuthentication(wsFedOptions);
            app.SetDefaultSignInAsAuthenticationType(WsFederationAuthenticationDefaults.AuthenticationType);
        }
    }

My relying party is configured with this claims rule at the AD FS server: enter image description here

• Elias 25 posts 108 karma points
    Aug 10, 2016 @ 13:15
    Elias

Hi Frederik,

When I was looking how to integrate ADFS with Umbraco I have the same issue. Something useful was to debug the umbraco source code and see how the authentication workflows run.

Try explicitly setup the property wsFedOptions.AuthenticationType after the invocation of: wsFedOptions.ForUmbracoBackOffice(style, icon);. In my case that was the key to get this working. The value for this property must be the URI: https://logon.domain.tlf/adfs/services/trust

Full example working (for u7.3.8) https://gist.github.com/eerrecart/4760b245ac78d5915b55ac311de39065

Another thing to check is that you are providing all the fields (claims) that umbraco needs, this can be done seeing the source code of:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/75c2b07ad3a093b5b65b6ebd45697687c062f62a/src/Umbraco.Web/Security/Identity/AuthenticationManagerExtensions.cs

Method: GetExternalLoginInfo also a good point to start debuging the external login flow.

Elias

Aug 10, 2016 @ 13:39
    Frederik Raabye

Hi Elias

Thank you very much. It was the wsFedOptions.ForUmbracoBackOffice() overwriting my AuthenticationType property.

Now I only have to figure out why the backend linking button does not trigger any action. :)

Kind regards

Frederik

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Aug 12, 2016 @ 08:03
    Shannon Deminick

Active Directory makes the authentication type 'special'. It's probably different depending on the type of AD you are using as well. The AuthenticationType parameter is how the linking of accounts works, and relies on that value being returned from the OAuth provider. This is also the value stored in the umbracoExternalLogin table.

The only real example I can give you is the snippet we use in Identity Extensions when configuring Azure AD OAuth, you can see that here: https://github.com/umbraco/UmbracoIdentityExtensions/blob/master/src/App_Start/UmbracoADAuthExtensions.cs#L65

You can also see in this snippet that ForUmbracoBackOffice is called before the AuthenticationType is set, since as you previously noted, ForUmbracoBackOffice will change the auth type provided to be prefixed - since this is needed for most oauth providers.

Aug 12, 2016 @ 08:34
    Frederik Raabye

Hi Shannon

Thanks for your feedback. I got it working in the end. I just created a bug report here, before seing your answer: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-8848

The code base appears to be oauth centric when looking at naming conventions in both frontend and backend. I don't know if an override with a more generic approach could/should be implemented or you will OAuth everything?

• Klaus Kunath 20 posts 118 karma points
    Feb 23, 2017 @ 14:11
    Klaus Kunath

Hi Frederik, could you provide your final code in a full working example. Until now I had no luck with my implementations.

Feb 23, 2017 @ 14:42
    Frederik Raabye

Hi Klaus

You can find a a link to a full test site in my 24 Days post here: http://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2016/authenticating-with-ad-fs-and-identityextensions/

Account linking works fine but I have experienced some issues with different token life times in Umbraco and the ad fs server.

/Frederik

Feb 23, 2017 @ 17:54
    Frederik Raabye

Hi Klaus

You can find a a link to a full test site in my 24 Days post here: http://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2016/authenticating-with-ad-fs-and-identityextensions/

Account linking works fine but I have experienced some issues with different token life times in Umbraco and the ad fs server.

/Frederik

• sriram 1 post 72 karma points
    Nov 28, 2017 @ 14:36
    sriram

Hi

i'm getting the same error The requested provider (http://myadfsdomain.com/adfs/services/trust) has not been linked to to an account

I've tried to setup the property wsFedOptions.AuthenticationType after the invocation of: wsFedOptions.ForUmbracoBackOffice(style, icon); But no luck.

i'm getting the below claims from the adfs server

1. nameidentifier
    2. name
    3. emailaddress

enter image description here

My code is

public void Configuration(IAppBuilder app)
            {
                var adfsMetadataEndpoint = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["AdfsMetadataEndpoint"];
                var adfsRelyingParty = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["AdfsRelyingParty"];
                var adfsFederationServerIdentifier = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["AdfsFederationServerIdentifier"];

app.ConfigureUserManagerForUmbracoBackOffice(
                    ApplicationContext.Current,
                    global::Umbraco.Core.Security.MembershipProviderExtensions.GetUsersMembershipProvider().AsUmbracoMembershipProvider());

app
                    .UseUmbracoBackOfficeCookieAuthentication(ApplicationContext.Current)
                    .UseUmbracoBackOfficeExternalCookieAuthentication(ApplicationContext.Current);

app.SetDefaultSignInAsAuthenticationType(Umbraco.Core.Constants.Security.BackOfficeExternalAuthenticationType);
                app.UseCookieAuthentication(new CookieAuthenticationOptions
                {
                    AuthenticationType = DefaultAuthenticationTypes.ApplicationCookie
                });

var wsFedOptions = new WsFederationAuthenticationOptions
                {
                    Wtrealm= adfsRelyingParty,
                    MetadataAddress= adfsMetadataEndpoint,
                    SignInAsAuthenticationType = Umbraco.Core.Constants.Security.BackOfficeExternalAuthenticationType,
                    Wreply = $"{adfsRelyingParty}umbraco",
                };

// Configure BackOffice Account Link button and style
                wsFedOptions.ForUmbracoBackOffice("btn-microsoft", "fa-windows");
                wsFedOptions.Caption = "ADFS Login";

// Fix Authentication Type
                wsFedOptions.AuthenticationType = adfsFederationServerIdentifier;

// Configure AutoLinking
                wsFedOptions.SetExternalSignInAutoLinkOptions(
                    new ExternalSignInAutoLinkOptions(autoLinkExternalAccount: false,defaultUserGroups:null,defaultCulture:null));

wsFedOptions.Notifications = new WsFederationAuthenticationNotifications
                {
                    SecurityTokenValidated = ClaimsTransformer.GenerateUserIdentityAsync
                };

wsFedOptions.AuthenticationType = string.Format(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, adfsFederationServerIdentifier);
                app.UseWsFederationAuthentication(wsFedOptions);
            }

i also tried with the sample project available in http://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2016/authenticating-with-ad-fs-and-identityextensions/ . But Same error i am getting.

I've tried in Umbraco versions 7.7.4 and 7.7.6

Thanks, Sriram

• Lars Nederberg 29 posts 84 karma points
    Jan 29, 2018 @ 14:53
    Lars Nederberg

Hi @sriram I have the same problem. Did you figure this out?

/ br Lars

Nov 29, 2017 @ 06:10
    Frederik Raabye

Hello Sriam

I am afraid haven't tested this solution in recent builds. If you have a hybrid setup Azure AD might be an option instead? /Frederik

• Sam 11 posts 97 karma points c-trib
    Mar 09, 2018 @ 05:03
    Sam

I've written some instructions on how to use the auto link and how to sync AD groups to Umbraco groups: https://medium.com/@samuel.sperling/authenticating-with-ad-fs-in-umbraco-12d1a4c6777e

Mar 09, 2018 @ 11:39
    Frederik Raabye

Great write up Sam, thanks! Been meaning to update my guide for ages to include groups. This should really be included in the docs. There is an open ticket with my name on it currently. :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft