Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bill Haggerty 43 posts 177 karma points
    Jun 24, 2016 @ 15:31
    Bill Haggerty

TableEditor Plugin -- getting started

Umbraco 7.4.3 with TableEditor - latest from https://github.com/imulus/TableEditor

What I have done:

Followed the manual install instructions, except was not sure what to configure in the last step 'Configure in 'Developer->Datatypes'

Here is a screenshot of the settings for a table editor --

TableSettings

Saved this document type, and then try to use it as a content editor --

ContentEditor

What I expected was to see the table grid, so that I could add / remove columns and rows.

Any pointers on what I should change so that the plugin shows the table grid in the content editor?? Thanks !!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 26, 2016 @ 06:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bill

I have not tried this plugin myself but I'm guessing that perhaps some of the Umbraco styling and functionality that this package might be relying on has changed since it was made (It's from 2014 and quite a lot has happened since then).

It could also be that for some reason the stylesheet has not been loaded? Have you tried checking the browser console log to see if it gives you any errors? In the network tab you should also be able to see if any 404's are being thrown.

/Jan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jun 26, 2016 @ 08:38
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Bill,

Perhaps you could try to install the package as a local package instead of the manual install.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/table-editor/

I am not sure that the package will be compatible with Umbraco 7.4.3

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Jun 27, 2016 @ 14:26
    Bill Haggerty

Jan, Thank you for the suggestion to check the browser console !! It was a little embarrassing for me, why didn't I remember to check that??

I am posting what I found, so that maybe it helps someone else.

Here is what I found from the browser console:

Error: Argument 'TableEditorController' is not a function, got undefined

I am not that familiar yet with Angular, so I googled around for Umbraco/Angular/Controller. I found an old post that indicated controller files are configured in the package manifest file.

Looking at the package.manifest:

"javascript": [
    "~/App_Plugins/TableEditor/js/table.editor.js" ]

I had to change this so that the location in the package.manifest and the actual physical location matched.

It now behaves much better !! Still not perfect, I need to make certain the other files are correctly set. I noticed I need to also fix up the path to css.

Thanks !!! Bill

Jun 28, 2016 @ 05:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bill

Good to hear you managed to figure it out - But did you install the package directly form the source found on Github? If so then I suggest you try simply removing the the "TableEditor" folder form the /App_Plugins folder and then download the package here from our using the link Dennis provided above and use the package installer in the "Development" section of Umbraco instead.

That way the file references in the package manifest should be correct - One should not spend time setting up things manually since it will be very error prone - If you manage to figure it all out and edit the references etc. then there is a risk that you need to do it all over again if you decide to upgrade the package (If a new version is released) - This is generally speaking so you don't take the same approach again if my assumption is correct :)

/Jan

Jun 28, 2016 @ 13:49
    Bill Haggerty

Jan,

I had originally found the package on our. I then started researching everywhere to find out as much as I could about this code.

The reason why I used the code from Github is because it is the newest. If the packages on Umbraco Our or NuGet had not been so old, I would have tried them first.

I agree with the point about the package is usually the better route. I don't want to do unnecessary work, but I also don't mind working hard to understand. I am pretty new to Umbraco, and I think it is good to understand how things are put together. If I had to do it over again, I still think, in this case, the GitHub version is the best choice.

Bill

Jun 28, 2016 @ 15:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bill

Ah I see - I had not checked whether the source is newer than the packages. In that case you can actually make a new release of the package yourself by cloning the project to your local machine and then use the grunt tasks to either create a nuget package or an umbraco package.

I don't know how well-versed you are with node and grunt though? But if you would try making your own package then make sure to run "npm install" first to have the dependencies, which are defined in the package.json file installed so you will be able to run the grunt tasks like "grunt nuget" or "grunt package" to have either the nuget package or the umbraco packages build from the source code in the /app folder.

If you're new to grunt you can learn more about here http://gruntjs.com/getting-started

I hope this makes any sense? :)

Happy learning!

EDIT: For good measure and future readers of this post I should mention that not necessarily all property editors for Umbraco found on Github have the option of building the package from the source using a task runner like Gulp. It all depends whether the creator has made such a setup or not.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft