Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 24, 2016 @ 15:39
    Ismail Mayat

Guys,

Looking at the examine external index is there a reason why we have media in there and is it even needed. The reason i ask is my index has 27600 docs. This is causing issues on azure after a web app swap as it takes a while to rebuild.

I did some testing by removing from my index all items of indextype media this brings my index down to 3000 and thus builds alot quicker. I also then updated my examine config to exclude these media items.

Please note this is on external index not internal. I can understand everything being in internal index.

Regards

Ismail

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 24, 2016 @ 15:52
    Anders Bjerner

The media cache uses Examine, so you won't be able to use the media cache if you keep all media out of the cache.

Anyways, Sebastiaan has an article on Azure performance:

https://cultiv.nl/blog/making-sure-your-umbraco-site-performs-on-azure/

The trick is to add useTempStorage="Sync" to both index and search providers in ExamineSettings.config.

(at least I think so - I haven't really tried it my self, since it is my colleagues have set this up on our Azure Web Apps)

May 24, 2016 @ 16:00
    Ismail Mayat

I thought media cache was on internal index not external?

May 24, 2016 @ 16:03
    Anders Bjerner

I have always been under the impression that the media cache was based on the external cache. But I haven't really checked the source code, so I don't know for sure.

May 24, 2016 @ 15:58
    Ismail Mayat

Anders doing that already. So what is happening is azure is doing its voodoo and moving us around then indexes are rebuilding but it takes a while to rebuild and we get blank page and error. Eventually site is back up but does not look good for client.

Regards

Ismail

May 24, 2016 @ 16:05
    Anders Bjerner

The way I understand it is that Umbraco won't rebuild the index when switching to a new worker, but instead the new worker will copy the existing index from the file server.

I'll make sure to ask my colleagues tomorrow if no one else have confirmed before then ;)

May 24, 2016 @ 16:18
    Ismail Mayat

So this from tim payne:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/75c2b07ad3a093b5b65b6ebd45697687c062f62a/src/Umbraco.Web/PublishedCache/XmlPublishedCache/PublishedMediaCache.cs

Looks like its internal.

So may issue is size of index and copy taking to long.

Regards

Ismail

May 24, 2016 @ 16:23
    Anders Bjerner

Then I've learned something new :D

• Jules 269 posts 560 karma points
    May 30, 2016 @ 09:12
    Jules

Yep def internal - rebuilding internal indexes has been fixing some media cached issues since I can remember.

J

• Richard Hamilton 79 posts 169 karma points
    Nov 27, 2018 @ 13:52
    Richard Hamilton

Ismail, I know this is an old post, having some issues on appPool recycle so looking at options. Did you conclude that images should be excluded from the external index? But everything should be included in the internal index which is used for internal Umbraco searching and media cache?

Thanks

Nov 27, 2018 @ 13:54
    Ismail Mayat

as long as you are not doing any searches like a document listing page etc then in theory u can exclude media from external index. Not internal tho as that is used to hydrate IMedia

• Richard Hamilton 79 posts 169 karma points
    Nov 27, 2018 @ 13:56
    Richard Hamilton

Cool, thanks. I'm pretty sure there is no document searching, only the pages that the documents reside on.

So I have added the following

<ExcludeNodeTypes>
          <add Name="Image" />
          <add Name="Folder" />
          <add Name="File" />
        </ExcludeNodeTypes>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft