Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Parr 48 posts 206 karma points
    Oct 27, 2017 @ 12:12
    David Parr

Package boilerplate, looking for your input please

Hi all

I am looking to put together and release a package boilerplate that can be used for package development and would like to ask you all for your views and opinions.

I know that Lee Kelleher put something together a while back at https://github.com/leekelleher/umbraco-package-boilerplate but that is no longer maintained.

My vision for the boilerplate is similar to the above, to provide best practices in terms of structure, build, deployment and such when writing open source Umbraco packages.

Here are my thoughts for this boilerplate:

• Common and recommended project structure, namely three key folders; build, docs and src.
    • An example appveyor.yml configuration file, with appveyor highly recommended for build and deployment to Nuget considering it is free for open source projects.
    • Simply clone the boilerplate repo and build, with an Umbraco website all ready to go and be tested on.
    • Have a way to test different Umbraco versions locally within the same solution? I am thinking possibly generated project files for various version numbers?

So now comes the big question for you all, what do you consider best practice in terms of project structure, build and deployment?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Nov 03, 2017 @ 17:27
    David Parr

I will be using a structure similar to how I structured this package here:

https://github.com/BarFoo/UmbracoContentFiles

If anyone feels that the structure I have used above isn't suitable for a common boilerplate that others can simply install, then please let me know why in this topic.

Thanks

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 04, 2017 @ 22:13
    Paul Seal

Hi David I really like the idea of this and would like to understand more about it. I want to make more packages myself so I'm hoping this will help me.

I've got some questions if that's ok:

What type of packages can it be used for?

Where does it put the package in the users project when they install it? Does it go in App_Plugins?

I notice there's an AppVeyor file and a nuspec file. Does it allow you to get static files included in the install as well as just a dll, from nuget.

Cheers

Paul

Nov 05, 2017 @ 09:51
    David Parr

Hi Paul,

Any boilerplate that is setup can be used for any type of package development.

The boilerplate will include an optional installer abstract class, but by default any package files will be installed repsectively, including assets.

That is my intention anyway, I haven't yet started work on it.

Thanks

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 05, 2017 @ 15:30
    Paul Seal

It sounds great

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Nov 05, 2017 @ 17:50
    John Bergman

This is definitely needed :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft