Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 16, 2017 @ 10:19
    Paul Seal

Anyone got experience with developing and publishing packages?

I want to create and publish a package which just contains some views, partial views, a dll and creates a custom table in the default umbraco database. Does anyone know the best way to go about making this happen in a package please?

Thanks

Paul

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 16, 2017 @ 10:53
    David Brendel

Hi Paul,

on which Umbraco version do you build your stuff? You can create Umbraco packages from the packages node in the Developer section of Umbraco.

If you want to create a nuget package that is also possible. Depends on how your code is executed in your DLL. And a bit trickier as you need an xml file which is created by Umbraco when you download the zip of the package created within the backoffice.

Where do you get stuck specifically?

Regards David

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 16, 2017 @ 15:15
    Paul Seal

Hi David I build on the latest version usually. I have a package which works with 7.4+

My latest idea is in a 7.5x site at the moment.

I've been given help on how to insert and remove config settings today, so that was useful.

Ideally what I really want to know is how I can create a table in the default database when the user installs the package.

Kind regards

Paul

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    May 16, 2017 @ 15:29
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

for creating tables / config, you should look at migrations. https://cultiv.nl/blog/using-umbraco-migrations-to-deploy-changes/

these are baked into umbraco and how umbraco does its own upgrades. they also have the advantage of working for both package installs and nuget installs.

i also have some demo migration stuff in a github repo that might help https://github.com/KevinJump/UmbracoMigrationsDemo/tree/master/Migrations/Migrations

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft