Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Charlie 14 posts 95 karma points
    Feb 21, 2017 @ 00:14
    Charlie

Umbraco Deployment from local to staging and production

Hi all.

I work for a web development company. We have our own custom CMS built in ColdFusion we have used for most of our clients front end facing sites.

We have recently started doing ASP.NET sites (MVC) with no CMS. Our process for deploying has always been

Develop incrementally. Developer pushes their changes to beta. A tester tests, developer makes updates, tester signs off, developer sends to PM. Once all updates for a release are ready. We push from Beta to Staging. A tester or PM goes through all updates on staging to verify that everything looks good. Any changes that are done are commited to beta tested there, then the full deployment is re-run on staging. Once we have a staging launch we are happy with the client reviews we get any notes and repeat the process until testers, PMs, and clients have all said it looks good. At this point we take the code and database updates that have been applied to staging and apply them to production.

We have a client that wants a ASP.NET project with a CMS, and I thought Umbraco looks really promising. Is this, or a similar workflow, possible with Umbraco? It seems weird to me that I have to select a database that cannot be based on environment. Is there a way to have a beta, staging and production database and code base, and push changes up to each?

We have just been using Visual Studios Deploy package and running the package deployment on each server, however since each Umbraco project seems to be tied to a specific database I am not seeing how this is possible.

I am a fairly experienced .NET developer, comfortable with database administration and all that stuff, but have basically no experience with Umbraco, just what I have read here and in the documentation. I have set up a local site and played around, using a SQL Server instance to run the database. I can deploy to our beta server and talk to the database fine, but what about when I want to deploy to staging and production and talk to different databases?

Is this something I would use Courier for, are there any free options? Or am I just doing something totally wrong?

Thanks,

Charlie

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 21, 2017 @ 08:44
    Kevin Jump

Hi Charlie,

you are right umbraco does have a lot information in the db as well as on disk so deployment can be a bit of a thing.

at the moment there are a couple of options.

Courier is built by the umbraco core team and lets you and your editors push changes from one environment to another via the back office.

uSync is a source control deployment tool, aimed at taking the bits of umbraco that are in the db and serialising them to and from disk. this works well for source control and deployment onto other server (and disclaimer i wrote it)

I know many people use uSync for deployment, and it works with Visual Studios publish methods, and other deployment tools like octopus deploy and visual studio online build and release things. (which works like an automated publish)

Umbraco Cloud is the hosted umbraco, and it manges deployments, using slightly modified versions of Courier and github and does the process for you.

also at some-point in the future - Umbraco Deploy is slated to replace courier, and will probably do everything Courier and uSync do.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft