Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• George 58 posts 165 karma points
    Sep 04, 2015 @ 11:50
    George

How to log XSLT parsing errors?

Some of our users have recently reported that they get an "Error parsing XSLT file" error when browsing certain pages on our website.

We are currently using Elmah and the built in IIS log files. However, XSLT errors never show up on Elmah because technically the page is returned to the user, and only a part of it has failed.

Is there any way to track XSLT parsing errors?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 04, 2015 @ 11:56
    Dennis Aaen

Hi George,

Try to see this post from stack overflow

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3809618/umbraco-cms-net-logging-errors-loading-xslt-user-controls

Hope this can help you do archive what you are after.

/Dennis

Sep 04, 2015 @ 12:12
    George

I found this solution as well, but it doesn't explain how it can be used.

First, how does one include a module to Umbraco from a .cs source file? Do we just compile it into a DLL and move it in the bin folder? How about configuration files, do we need to include any reference to it anywhere?

Moreover, as far as I understand, they used this module with Umbraco 4.X, which raises questions of compatibility with the current umbraco version of 7.X

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 04, 2015 @ 12:21
    Dennis Aaen

Hi George,

Try to see Sebastiaan´s method in this thread https://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/xslt/6763-Generate-log-row-on-xslt-error

Perhaps this can help you.

/Dennis

Sep 04, 2015 @ 13:02
    George

The thread you linked to is 5 years old and they didn't reach a solution, just included the link to the stackoverflow umbraco module. (I found it as well when looking for an answer before posting this thread)

I thank you for trying to help Dennis, but I need a method that people actually worked with and tested.

I can't be the only person who needs this functionality. There are many people asking how to solve single xslt parsing errors but no way that allows us to log and keep track of these errors.

• Sebastian Dammark 581 posts 1385 karma points
    Nov 11, 2015 @ 22:06
    Nov 12, 2015 @ 10:15
    George

This package looks promising! I haven't tested how it logs xslt errors but I will report back as soon as I know more.

EDIT: This package does indeed log XSLT erros. Keep in mind, they are stored as WARN in the list instead of as ERROR. There is a short error description and stack trace included. Moreover, it shows various other umbraco warnings and events. It's exactly what we needed, thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft