Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel.S 50 posts 135 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 08:12
    Daniel.S

Accounting for difference in timezone between server and webpage audience

Hello all.

I'm working on a page that is going to be hosted on a server in Norway, but the main target audience will be in Sydney, Australia.

Is there any way in .NET to account for this time difference automatically, or will I have to hard-code the time change into my XSLT templates?

For example, I'm showing dates from a Google calendar feed that's set to UTC +10 (AEST), but the server's time is UTC +1. This means that if I configure my google events to show what's happening "today" when viewed in Sydney, there will still be events from the previous day showing - as Norway is ~9 hours behind us.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 09:22
    Morten Bock

I know this is kind of a non-answer, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to change the timezone globally for you web app. So I guess the best way sould be to put an entry in a config file, and then make a date helper class the makes the timezone conversion for you.

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 09:36
  • Daniel.S 50 posts 135 karma points
    Jul 19, 2009 @ 01:01
    Daniel.S

Ron, that will be handy if I have to create a helper function to calculate the time difference. It seems that this is the only way to go.

I noticed yesterday that someone had the same problem on Codeplex, but there was no firm solution found there either - only the suggestion to store the difference in UTC offset and calculate the difference: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/889504/asp-net-app-and-local-timezone.

Just wondering if anyone else has a solution to this?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft