Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kadir 30 posts 80 karma points
    Aug 29, 2014 @ 13:22
    Kadir

Special Characters Problem Only on Razor

Hey,

One of my domains is in Turkish and in HTML source of the webpage all the special characters are replaced with weird numeric entities like:

<span class="exclusive">Bize &#214;zel</span>
    <h3>%70&#39;e varan &#199;ok &#214;zel Sezon Indirimş</h3>

when I use dictionary items or template page fields like 
    <umbraco:Item field="vendorTitle" runat="server" /> there are no problems at all.

Although all of my razor cshtml files are saved in utf-8 format, I have this weird characters in my HTML source.

Is there a solution for this? I am running Umbraco v6.2.1 with SQL Server

Thank you in advance

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Aug 30, 2014 @ 13:45
    Charles Afford

First i would look up the encoded characters and see what there value are.

Let us know what you found :)

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 31, 2014 @ 13:54
    Jeavon Leopold

That's an interesting issue and perhaps one not specific to Umbraco, have you seen this suggestion on Stack Overflow?

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 31, 2014 @ 13:56
    Jeavon Leopold

Interested to know if that solves it for you, and also I wonder if when editing Razor files in the Umbraco UI changes the encoding and removes the BOM....?

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Aug 31, 2014 @ 15:28
    Charles Afford

Yea i had the same thing with another project. I cannot remember the specifics but we had to save the razor files as UTF-8 with an encoding selected

Sep 09, 2014 @ 09:30
    Kadir

Hey all,

sorry for late reply I was in a trip without laptop and didnt have time to check the answers.

I have this meta tag already in the template file: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

I also checked all the script files with notepad++ and all of them are with BOM.

My windows 2012 server is in German, could this be the reason of it?

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 09, 2014 @ 09:50
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Kadir,

Just curious - when you see the rendered result in a browser, everything's fine, right? (i.e., you get the correct turkish characters, like Ö and Ç, I assume?)

The browser's parser doesn't see (or do) anything different for the entity reference &#199; and the character Ç - they're both exactly the same thing from the parser's perspective.

I've seen lots of Tidy tools do the automatic conversion when tidying a document, which probably stems from when some popular browsers couldn't handle anything that wasn't either US-ASCII or Window-1259 encoded, so the tools just converted any "dangerous" characters to entity-references for the sake of the users.

Maybe your editor does a pre-save tidying step when you save the files?

/Chriztian

Sep 09, 2014 @ 12:36
    Kadir

Hey Chriztian,

Yes in the rendered results, browser displays everything correctly. I have tried notepadd++, sublimetext editor, notepad and umbraco's native editor, but I still get the same results.

I have discovered another thing though: when I use @item.incentiveDescription I have encoding problems

but when I use Truncate like: @(Library.Truncate(Library.StripHtml(item.incentiveDescription), 180, true)) there are no problems at encoding.

Sep 21, 2014 @ 10:17
    Kadir

I still couldn't find the source of this problem though.

Only solution is to use @Html.Raw(abc.ToString()). But I don't know how to apply it for datetimes for example for this : @umbraco.library.FormatDateTime(umbraco.library.CurrentDate(), "MMMM") 
    @HTML.Raw doesn't seem to work.

• ibrahim TUNC 54 posts 132 karma points
    Feb 06, 2016 @ 22:06
    ibrahim TUNC

Kadir bey problemi çözebildiniz mi? aynı problemi bende yaşıyorum da.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2016 @ 23:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ibrahim

Could you please write in english? Unfortunately I don't understand turkish and I think a lot of others in here don't understand that either - So please let's keep this forum in english so everyone can understand each other and help each other out :)

I'm really curious what you have written above and if I maybe can help ;-)

Cheers, Jan

Feb 07, 2016 @ 15:21
    ibrahim TUNC

Hi Jan.

It asks that the problem is in progress Kadir? I have the same problem too. How can I solve this problem? Can you help me?

Umbraco installation SQL Server Collation of the database is SQLLatin1GeneralCP1CIAS. Umbraco not support TurkishCI_AS.

I use Umbraco version 7.2.1 assembly: 1.0.5462.37503.

Best Regard. Thank you.

• Samira 113 posts 452 karma points
    Feb 08, 2016 @ 11:10
    Samira

Hi

try this

Use Regex to solve this problem

string one = childNode.GetProperty("aliasname").Value;

string two = Regex.Replace(one, @"<[^>]+>|&nbsp;", "").Trim();

string correcttext = Regex.Replace(two, @"\s{2,}", " ");

string text = correcttext;

hope this help

Regards

Samira

Feb 10, 2016 @ 21:19
    ibrahim TUNC

Looks like this is a "feature" of Razor that it will always HTML encode attributes. See: Razor - @Html.Raw() still encoding & in meta tag attributes.

So to work around this, you can do the following:

<meta name="description" @Html.Raw("content=\""+ @Umbraco.Field("pageDescription") + "\"") />

It's not pretty, but it works.

Source URL Address : http://sofc.developer-works.com/article/19875431/Meta+description+with+special+characters+in+Umbraco

It was tested. The problem is solved.

Thanks. Best regard.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft