Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Brewer 9 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 17:20
    Stephen Brewer

U7, MVC, Code First and Strongly Typed... the options

I apprciate there are a few discussions around this but wanted to try to get a clear understanding.

We are starting a new project next week and from a technical point of view we have the following requirements (in priority order) :

1. MVC (new to me)
    2. Code first doc types
    3. Strongly Typed
    4. Umbraco 7 (rather than v6)

From what i can tell there is no solution that will do all of the above. The options ive seen so far are uSiteBuilder (weve used it before and really liked it) or CodeGen/uSync. Unfortunately both of these arent U7 compatible i believe (yet) and hence i think well have to use U6 (not the end of the world but would of been nice). Is this definetely the case?

In regard to Code first and strongly typed uSiteBuilder is looking like a very good option. We have used this before and whilst there are some speed impacts we believe the benefits out way these problems.

So my main question is in regard to MVC and how well does it play with uSiteBuilder?
    Is it possible to declare our strongly typed classes in one place so that they can be used by both MVC and uSiteBuilder or will we have to duplicate the classes?

Steve

• Comment author was deleted

Nov 28, 2013 @ 17:29
  • Comment author was deleted

Nov 28, 2013 @ 17:30

There is a combo of usync and https://github.com/lars-erik/Umbraco.CodeGen that is also an option

• Stephen Brewer 9 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 17:41
    Stephen Brewer

Cheers Tim.

I have just re-read those articles and you're right they do offer a possible solution. Ill give them a go and see how we get on.

Definetely had a information overload day :)

• Tommy Enger 72 posts 277 karma points c-trib
    Sep 10, 2014 @ 15:20
    Tommy Enger

Hi Stephen,

I have almost the same requirements as you, almost a year later :)
    What solution did you end up using? And would you use the same approach if you'd started today?

-Tommy

• Ben Weeks 14 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 10:44
    Ben Weeks

Is there a best practice for this now with v7? Or is opinion to still do it with the UI?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft