Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• schlubadub 102 posts 617 karma points
    Apr 10, 2015 @ 06:26
    schlubadub

RelatedLinks with dropdown

I really like the RelatedLinks property editor. Is there an easy way to extend this to have a DropDown list of pre-defined items, along with the other fields (caption, link, newwindow)? Essentially, I just want to add a new field or I could even just change "Caption" into a dropdownlist of fixed values. I'm just not sure how I should do this effectively...

Has anyone done anything similar or can suggest an appropriate plugin? 

Apr 12, 2015 @ 06:35
    schlubadub

Bump. Does anyone have any idea? I've tried creating a custom property editor from the original one, but it has a lot of issues, so I'm not sure what's wrong. Any direction would help. Or should I try to use something like Archetype?

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Apr 12, 2015 @ 13:58
    Hendy Racher

Hi schlubadub,

Yes, if exisitng property editors do what you need, then you can use Archetype or Nested Content to group these editors together.

Archetype has been out for a little while and is really customisable, whilst Nested Content is new, but IMHO has the killer feature of returning IPublishedContent, rather than ArchetypeFieldsetModel.

HTH,

Hendy

Apr 13, 2015 @ 04:47
    schlubadub

Hi Hendy,

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned Archetype as I want to use this outside of the Grid and instead have it in my "Home" property editor tabs.

I am currently using Related Links to hold small bits of content for my template. For example, I have Social Links (facebook, twitter, etc) and I am using the "Caption" field to pass a CSS class to the front-end. This obviously relies on the field being exactly the same as the front-end and doesn't allow for typos. Ideally, I just want to change it to a drop-down so the user can only select from the list I've given them...

Edit: actually, it looks like Archetype can be used in a template so it might be worth looking into further (Reference: https://gist.github.com/kgiszewski/8863822)

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Apr 13, 2015 @ 09:01
    Hendy Racher

Hi schlubadub,

Just for reference, both Archetype and Nested Content can be used outside of the grid.

If you have a known number of items (as you might do for your social links), then Archetype might have the advantage, as you can tweak the UI configuration after an initial collection of items has been created - such that items can't then be added or removed by an editor (but the existing ones can be edited).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft