Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 20, 2015 @ 16:37
    Nicholas Westby

Custom CSS/JavaScript for Umbraco Backoffice?

Suppose I want to add some custom CSS and JavaScript to be used on every page in the Umbraco backoffice. And suppose it's not associated with any component (plugin, dashboard, tree item, package, etc.) in particular (i.e., it applies globally). And suppose I'd like it to remain intact across Umbraco upgrades (i.e., can't update umbraco.css, as that'd get overwritten). It would ideally apply everywhere (i.e., in the trees and the dashboards and sidebar controls).

What is the most straightforward way of adding this CSS/JavaScript?

Some example use cases (in case you need some convincing this is a valid requirement):

• Change background color globally (e.g., so dev/stage/prod are clearly different).
    • Darkening the Umbraco version number (so users can see it more clearly).
    • Replacing the search box (e.g., so we can prevent typeahead from pegging the CPU on installs with lots of members).

I could go on. And I could submit many suggestions for these items to the Umbraco issue tracker. However, having a straightforward way of injecting CSS/JavaScript would allow me to address any issues I have immediately in a sustainable manner (i.e., so upgrades don't clobber my changes).

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 20, 2015 @ 16:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

I know you mentioned that we should suppose that you should not need a plugin etc. - But I'm thinking that's probably the best option really since it does not get overwritten when you're making upgrades - You could of course find the "Master" of the umbraco backoffice and then reference your own stylesheet in there...but that path would have to be inserted each time you upgrade.

So if you don't mind the plugin approach I think you should be able to simply add a folder in the plugin called "CustomBackoffice" and within it just place a package manifest with a reference to as CSS file...don't know if it would be necessary to create a dummy view and fill in a dummy plugin name/alias etc. as well though.

Hope this makes sense.

/Jan

Mar 20, 2015 @ 16:54
    Nicholas Westby

Hi Jan,

That may very well work. I had assumed that plugins only had their CSS/JS loaded if they were used (e.g., in a property editor). However, looking at one of the plugins I built, its CSS/JS is loaded right when I log into Umbraco (before any property editors are displayed). I guess that's the best way to go. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2015 @ 17:02
    Nicholas Westby

For anybody curious about what Jan is talking about, you'd basically create a folder called "Stuff" in the App_Plugins folder, then create three files in the "Stuff" folder:

• whatever.js
    • whatever.css
    • package.manifest

You could put what you like in whatever.js and whatever.css. Your package.manifest would look like this:

enter image description here

Obviously, the folder "Stuff" and the "whatever" files could be called anything of your choosing.

Mar 20, 2015 @ 17:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

Yeah, noticed this behavior the other day when I was hacking something together for a test purpose and got confused because there was too much padding on the list of content nodes all of the sudden - Forgot to add a class that I could use in my selector...so thought that it would work in your scenario :)

Happy tweaking!

/Jan

• Maria 34 posts 128 karma points
    Sep 02, 2015 @ 10:45
    Maria

I'm trying to add a styling to property editor made with LeBlender and added to content through grid.

I tried your approach with package.manifest and css file in App_Plugins/CustomStyles but I can't see that the styles are loaded.

What am I missing? Do I need to register the plugin somewhere?

Sep 04, 2015 @ 06:23
    Nicholas Westby

Umbraco caches plugins pretty aggressively (on the server side). It could be that you need to delete the ClientDependency and PluginCache folders in the App_Data\TEMP folder, then recycle your app pool (and clear your browser cache).

• Maria 34 posts 128 karma points
    Sep 04, 2015 @ 08:22
    Maria

Thanks, I'll try that.

• Tajamal 87 posts 175 karma points
    Feb 05, 2016 @ 12:36
    Tajamal

Hi Nicholas

Is that a working solution or a solution that you are working on ? I need to hookup a stylesheet too.

• Tajamal 87 posts 175 karma points
    Feb 05, 2016 @ 13:59
    Tajamal

I figures it out and works. The manifest file should be in a folder as well.

• David Clarke 5 posts 75 karma points
    Feb 06, 2016 @ 01:36
    David Clarke

I'm trying to do the same thing but it isn't working for me. Following instructions here I have created a package.manifest in a new folder ZC in App_Plugins as per the example but my stylesheet isn't being included in the output. Not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. Version is 7.3.7. CSS file is:

{
      css: [
         '~/App_Plugins/ZC/zebracrossing.css'
      ]
    }

The stylesheet definitely exists at that location and is included in the project, just not rendered in the output.

Feb 06, 2016 @ 08:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David and welcome to our :)

Can't quite remember if Matt's post mentions that one needs to make sure locally switch the debug attribute in web.config to "true" instead of "false" - Otherwise things are being cached pretty hard and it's not possible to see such changes - Also make sure that you empty your browser cache.

If that does not help could you then please try checking your browsers console log to see if it holds any errors? Sometimes the package manifest syntax can be wrong. which can also be the cause of things not showing up/working.

/Jan

Feb 06, 2016 @ 08:54
    David Clarke

Thanks Jan

I've checked the debug setting in the compilation element and it is set to true.

The file is getting parsed. If I change a forward slash to a back slash the UmbracoTraceLog file reports a "Bad JSON escape sequence" exception.

Changing it back, the page source doesn't include the markup for the stylesheet. It's not a 404. I've cleared the browser cache, I've cleared the TEMP caches.

I'm kind of new to Umbraco so I'm not sure where else to look to try to resolve this.

UPDATE: so I've checked the Master.cshtml page and there's really no obvious place where the stylesheet might be injected. How does Umbraco add the markup for the plugin?

Feb 06, 2016 @ 09:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

Ok - What exact version of Umbraco are you using? It might be a bug in .7.4 beta for instance - If not then could you perhaps try bumping the version number in the clientdependency.config in /config/ClientDependency.config and see if that does anything? You might need to recycle the application pool afterwards.

/Jan

Feb 06, 2016 @ 09:18
    David Clarke

Hi Jan

Version is 7.3.7. I was following this getting started bog and created two new visual studio projects and then install-package ... to add Umbraco. The website loads and I can login and configure it. But the instructions to add a stylesheet don't seem to have any effect on the markup rendered. Not sure if that helps?

Thanks

Feb 06, 2016 @ 11:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

Well, it can also be that your styles are not specific enough to override the default styles in the backoffice?

/Jan

Feb 06, 2016 @ 19:05
    David Clarke

But shouldn't I see the stylesheet markup to include my css file rendered in the html? I'm a little confused how this is supposed to work. I assumed that by putting a stylesheet into the plugin folder that Umbraco would create the <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" ... markup in the output. Is this not how it works?

Thanks

Feb 06, 2016 @ 19:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

No your own stylesheet will not be included like that - All styling will be bundled into one stylesheet as far as I remember. So looking for this in the source code of the Umbraco backoffice is not going to help :) - You'll need to use the inspect tool to see if your styles have been applied to the elements your targetting - It will also display whether your styles have been "overruled" due to higher specifity.

It is some of the backoffice styling you're trying to overwrite, right?

/Jan

Feb 06, 2016 @ 19:32
    David Clarke

Ok thanks, that's starting to make more sense now. I'll have a look at what is being emitted and see if I can figure out what is happening.

Thanks for your help

Feb 06, 2016 @ 20:06
    Nicholas Westby

FYI, I just upgraded to Umbraco 7.3.7 and it's working perfectly fine. Here are some of the files for your reference:

If you are curious about the JavaScript file referenced by the package.manifest, you won't see that in the repo because it is generated from other files during the build process.

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Apr 20, 2021 @ 00:44
    Carlos Mosqueda

I know this is old, but I did this a while back too and was able to get it to work. My issue now was I had to add one more style to my custom CSS sheet.
    I did the runaround with upping the clientdependency.config file with a new version number (nothing uppdated), hit the web.config and resaved (no updated CSS), created a brand new folder with new styles and app manifest and uploaded it to the server (I did not see it at first BUT after upping the version number in the clientdependency.config file AND hitting the web.config again I saw my new folder with my new styles).

So that said, yes Umbraco caches everything EXTREMELY hard. But I also am not sure existing files get updated unless there is a job or something ran because the web.config file resave didn't even show me the updated CSS file that existed on the server already (yes made sure it was uploaded on the actual server... it was).

My guess if you are going to do this and you got it to work BUT then you want to update the CSS or JS files and you don't see your updates (JS might be different), I would keep your copy on your local machine, delete the one from the server, hit the clientdependency.config and the web.config and then reupload the updated CSS files and folder again then do the process with the config files again.

• Nathan Rogan 22 posts 203 karma points
    Apr 22, 2021 @ 15:45
    Nathan Rogan

Your guess worked perfectly for me. Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft