Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Marco Lusini 176 posts 1370 karma points
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 11:25
    Marco Lusini

Improved MediaPicker and non image files

I have just downloaded the Improved MediaPicker by Tim Geyssens but I can't get it to upload a PDF.

It looks like it checks the extension of the file and only allows for image files.

Would it be possible to remove this limitation?

Marco

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 11:32
    Jeroen Breuer

I don't know if this is possible in the Improved MediaPicker, but I'm working an a MediaPicker myself in which this is possible. It will be released soon.

Oct 26, 2009 @ 12:08
    Marco Lusini

Thanks, I'll try yours as soon as it is released :)

Marco

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 26, 2009 @ 12:46

Hi Marco,

It should be easy to update this, just open the file /umbraco/dialogs/ImprovedMediaPickerUpload.ascx and update the js.

Oct 26, 2009 @ 14:31
    Marco Lusini

@Tim

I don't think it is that easy: a quick run of Reflector shows that, in the upload page, the new Media is always created as an "Image", but, if I changed the allowed extensions, I would want to save a PDF as a "File"...

Marco

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 26, 2009 @ 15:57

@Marco,

True, I'll need to update the code to make it possible to select the type of media you want to create

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Oct 30, 2009 @ 16:52
    Jeroen Breuer

I've released a new version of Yet Another Media Picker. You can download it at: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/tribal-yet-another-media-picker-4

You can also upload pdf files with this media picker.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Mar 17, 2010 @ 22:09
    Connie DeCinko

Will this media picker work within a rich text editor?

Mar 17, 2010 @ 22:13
    Connie DeCinko

A future feature request, add the option of documents only;  so you would have images and documents / only images / only documents.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Mar 17, 2010 @ 22:21
    Kim Andersen

Hi Connie

In a richtext editor the improved media picker functionality is already implemented as default. If you click the "Insert Image"-button, you can choose an image from the media library or choose to upload a new image from your disc.

/Kim A

Mar 17, 2010 @ 23:35
    Connie DeCinko

Correct, it allows a new image, but even though it lets you select a file, in my case a PDF, it will not allow uploading the PDF.

I have lots of old content to shovel over to a new Umbraco site. The content links to lots of PDF files.  Rather than load them all into the Media library, then go update the links, it would be easier to do it in one process.  I am aware of the bulk upload methods but we'd still have to go in and clean up the file names and organize them.

Mar 17, 2010 @ 23:41
    Connie DeCinko

Correct, it allows a new image, but even though it lets you select a file, in my case a PDF, it will not allow uploading the PDF.

I have lots of old content to shovel over to a new Umbraco site. The content links to lots of PDF files.  Rather than load them all into the Media library, then go update the links, it would be easier to do it in one process.  I am aware of the bulk upload methods but we'd still have to go in and clean up the file names and organize them.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 17, 2010 @ 23:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Perhaps you should check out the CMS Import tool, that Richard have made. I think that it might be possible to easily move the content. http://www.cmsimport.com/

Or perhaps Courier is the right tool for the job then? http://umbraco.org/products/umbraco-courier

Sure CMS Import cost a little money if you have more than a certain amount of documents that should be moved and so does Courier but I'll bet it's worth the cost.

/Jan

• Richard Barg 358 posts 532 karma points
    Sep 07, 2011 @ 21:55
    Richard Barg

Marco,

I'm not a developer, but I am writing on behalf of ours.

We're trying to upgrade to 4.7 We started using your Tree Multipicker in version 4.2 or a similar early 4.x version.  The XML schema has been radically changed and it would take a incredibly long time to modify our code to work with the upated version of Tree Multipicker using the new XML schema.  Would it be OK if we posted specfic questions here for you re: how we might acheive some backward compatiabilty or we could email you at [email protected] and discuss this directly?

Thanks.

Richard Barg

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft