Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jul 20, 2009 @ 12:28
    Peter Dijksterhuis

custom datatype with different values for ftont-end and back-end

Time to post a question instead of an answer myself this time ;)

I'm creating a custom datatype (which connects WikiPlex to umbraco, as per request by Douglas) which would need 2 values. An original value so it can be edited in the back-end, and a rendered value for display at the front-end.

Is this thought a bit too far and should I just render the content each time it is requested or is a dual-value situation possible? If so, what would be the best way to do it? Store it as custom XML?

For any pointers I would be very gratefull :-)

Peter

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 20, 2009 @ 12:38
    Lee Kelleher

Do you know if any benchmarks have been done on WikiPlex yet?

Wonder what they do on CodePlex? I'm guessing that the wiki-content is rendered at runtime - rather than rendered at save/publish (and stored in the database).

I'd probably go with render at runtime myself... but I can see what you are aiming for with the performance gains of storing both values.

- Lee

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 12:17
    Petr Snobelt

You can create settings to your datatype and on publish store rendered content here.

or store values as xml with subnodes (similar to relatedlinks datatype)

• Gerben 41 posts 136 karma points
    Jul 23, 2009 @ 12:33
    Gerben

As a general software architect rule: "the same data should be stored at a single (only one) location".(Not knowing the details of your envisioned solution though...)

I would go for the render at run-time option, and apply caching to overcome any performance issues.

• pvassalo 21 posts 28 karma points
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:49
    pvassalo

Hi!

How do I create a custom setting for a custom data type? I can't find any help about this

thanks!
    Pedro

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft