Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Nov 21, 2011 @ 15:00
    Jonas Eriksson

Ideas for using SignalR (or websockets)

Anyone up for sharing some ideas about possible ways to make use of SignalR/Websockets/Long polling in Umbraco?

I sent out a tweet and got responses quickly :)

Matt Brailsford about a seriously cool idea from CG11  

Lee Kelleher already have the uBackChat package in the deli.

Tim Saunders mentioned he looked at SignalR for his Umbraco web hooks .

Morten Christensen have a sample it running in Umbraco 5

I started to hack with it to get started with some kind of admin broadcast messaging going. http://joeriks.com/2011/11/21/using-signalr-with-umbraco-to-broadcast-messages-or-chat-15-minutes/ (made a package to install SignalR, havent uploaded it to the Deli just yet tho)

It would be really cool to have a good idea thread running here :)

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 16:18
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Jonas,

The idea of using SignalR in the Umbraco back-office would offer some exciting development/packages!

I truly believe that Matt's uCollaborate idea is possible... but far too much work for a single (or couple of) developers ... especially if it is to be a free/open-source package! (Personally, I've considered it as a commercial venture ... but came to a decision that couldn't invest the time/effort required).

What I would like to see is a base framework for using SignalR within the Umbraco back-office, then have contributions for the various modules: e.g. chat/IM, notes, who's online, content editing/locking, realtime mouse-cursors, etc.

Still excited by the possibilities!

Cheers, Lee.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 17:26
    Lee Kelleher

Sinister idea... uSpy - for a (super)admin to monitor what users are doing (in realtime).  e.g. "John is has published document 'About Us' (1234)", "Jane is editing an XSLT file 'Navi.xslt'", etc.

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 17:43
    Jonas Eriksson

Hi Lee,

When I think about the different feature ideas here - I think a simple chat window (like you already made) would be the feature I would most likely to add to my existing sites. I have not experienced much problems with editors trying to edit the same content at the same time yet - it's more a problem to get them to spend some time in the umbraco UI at all, and for them to remember how and where to edit stuff :) Seing co-workers online and being able to ask / discuss with them would be inspiring and I'm sure of real use for the people in the organizations I have been working with so far.

Cheers

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Feb 20, 2012 @ 18:08
    jaygreasley

Hey guys,

I've just started implementing a simple chat solution using SignalR in Umbraco.

I've hit a snag and wondered if anyone else has seen it.

The app seems to be timing out or losing it's connection after about 70 -90 seconds of inactivity.

I just wondered if anyone has noticed this/solved it?

tia

Jay

Feb 20, 2012 @ 20:34
    jaygreasley

So, it seems like the problem is that Umbraco is trying to route the SignalR calls, such as :

/signalr?transport=longPolling&connectionId=727f8670-d69c-4fde-a5ee-b78d5077de95&connectionData=%5B%7B%22name%22%3A%22Chat%22%2C%22methods%22%3A%5B%22newChatReceived%22%2C%22addChatMessage%22%5D%7D%5D&messageId=5 HTTP/1.1

I have ~/signalr in UmbracoReservedPaths in web.config but this doesn't seem to be enough

any ideas?

TIA

Jay

• Carsten Fallesen 35 posts 154 karma points
    Feb 20, 2012 @ 20:43
    Carsten Fallesen

Hi Jay,

I have ~/signalr in the UmbracoReservedUrls rather than UmbracoReservedPaths. That seems to work for me.

Carsten

Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:33
    jaygreasley

Hey Carsten,

Well spotted, thanks. All working properly now :-) 

I won't high five it because (my bad) it's a bit off topic for the post but thank you

Jay

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft