Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Aug 29, 2011 @ 02:12
    Nigel Wilson

Members Area Permissions Get Corrupted

Hi there

I have a members area on a site which is regularly breaking - basically the public permissions are "being lost" on the node when a particular event occurs.

When the problem occurs you get an error message on the page that was protected.  And when signing into the admin section the red icon is missing from the node, but it is still showing on all the child nodes.

I have checked the umbracoLog table but there are no errors detailed there.

So can anyone enlighten from an Umbraco perspectiev what gets written where when you right click on the node and apply member access permissions via "Public Access".

I know that the settings get stored in /data/access.xml, but is there anything else that occurs within the database ?

I haven't yet checked the access.xml file before re-applying the permissions - this is something I will do next time the problem occurs.

The problem will be due some less than ideal (read shonky) coding on my part but trying to track it down is proving tricky.

Any feedback will be greatfully received.

Thanks

Nigel

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 29, 2011 @ 02:24
    Peter Gregory

Hey Nigel

If you are using a more recent versions of Umbraco the Access.xml file was changed to Access.config and now resides in the App_data folder.

Could you post the error message so we can see what you are getting?  It sounds like like you may have a permissions issue.

Peter

Aug 29, 2011 @ 03:09
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Peter

The site is currently running on 4.0.2.1 - we are wanting to upgrade the site, however our project list is long and unfortunately it's not at the top of the list yet.

Upgrading the site, and coupled with applying some of the additional knowledge gained from a recent course would solve the problems I am sure. ;-) 

However as a stop gap I was hoping to gain an understanding what happens where when you apply member permissions, ie if/what database tables get updated, etc.

As the issue occurs only occasionally and so I will have to wait until it happens again to be able to view the error and provide. 

When it occurs again I will post an update.

Cheers

Nigel

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 29, 2011 @ 05:11
    Peter Gregory

Hi Nigel

There are no db transactions.  The permissions are stored in the file so if you want to check the file it is in the /config/access.xml in 4.0.2.1.

If your permissions are being lost I would look to disc permissions first, check umbraco.codeplex.com also for any issues related to this.

peter

Aug 29, 2011 @ 05:25
    Nigel Wilson

Hey Peter

Thanks for the additional information - I was being thrown by the fact that the protected red icon was still displaying on all sub nodes even when the parent node was no longer protected.

I have updated the disk file permissions to be read only so this will hopefully prevent future issues and buy the time needed to get the site upgraded.

Cheers

Nigel

Sep 01, 2011 @ 22:01
    Nigel Wilson

Uh oh - back to square one....

The member permissions corrupted again overnight and I am now totally stumped.

1. There is nothing in the umbracoLog table to provide any clues.

2. I had changed the file permissions on access.xml to read only. And before fixing the site I downloaded the file and confirmed the data was still recorded within the file. And then when trying to correct the permissions I go an error confirming the file was read only.

I have taken 2 screenshots of the site this time... 

1. Site tree whilst corrupted - the SRM Login node is the one that has "lost" the permissions, yet all the sub nodes still have the red symbol on them.

2. Error message on site. Obviously the site is looping between the protected page and the login page.

Can anyone provide any feedback?

Thanks
    Nigel 

• Chris Mahoney 235 posts 447 karma points
    May 29, 2014 @ 05:48
    Chris Mahoney

Did you ever manage to track this down? I'm getting the exact same symptoms under 6.1.6; my "upper" protected node is losing its protection and the red dot, but its subpages are still protected and the access.config still shows the upper node as protected.

• Rhebel 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jan 07, 2015 @ 17:33
    Rhebel

I'm also having this problem. I think our Umbraco version is a bit older (4.11 if I recall) but it only has happened on one site.

The child nodes show as protected (red icon) but the parent node does not. The access.config is identical while broke and working (including permissions). I've tried refreshing the cache and republishing nodes but so far the only thing that worked was to add the permissions again.

I've narrowed it down to when I replace a dll to update my code it breaks but it doesn't break immediately only after an apparently random time. The nearest log entries before errors appeared are: -Application started at 1/7/2015 8:10:57 AM -Loading content from disk cache...

Has anybody found a solution? I haven't found anything in searching and I'm not able to reproduce so even if I could pull the code down that uses the access.config I couldn't get this error.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft