Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas 49 posts 78 karma points c-trib
    Mar 07, 2011 @ 10:58
    Thomas

Re-indexing Members In Umbraco 4.5+

Hi all - in Umbraco 4.5.2 the internal member indexing is working fine for adding/updating an individual member - but I can find no way of re-indexing all existing members...

I have recreated this on a clean install of 4.5.2 - and it's a real problem as our system has 1000s of members.
    I have tried both the package here: http://wifi.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/examine-index-admin and also using /umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true.

Does anyone know if this is by design, if there is any existing fix/improvement on this - or if I should write bespoke logic to perform a reindex of all members?

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Mar 07, 2011 @ 11:10
    Stefan Kip

As far as I know, you can remove the index (backup ;-)) and it will automatically re-index all members...

Mar 07, 2011 @ 17:26
    Thomas

Hey - thanks for the reply!

I was expecting that behaviour as well - but does not seem to re-index in v4.5.2.

When you say "remove the index" - you just mean delete the files right?
    If so I have tried that, if I clear everything in this folder \App_Data\TEMP\ExamineIndexes\InternalMember\ then Umbraco will almost instantly recreate the \index and \queue folders, as well as an .exa and a .lck file.
    However it will not reindex my members. I have to go in and specifically save each one - however as this does work (and examining the index using Luke, it holds correct data) - I don't think the settings as such are incorrect...

If the "remove index" allows you to re-index all members, can I ask what Umbraco version you're using, and what files you delete to reset the index?

Mar 07, 2011 @ 19:16
    Stefan Kip

Well, I only know this trick works for content. It re-indexes the whole content area.
    What if you remove the index (exactly like you described) and then write a little piece of code to save every member?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 08, 2011 @ 11:16
    Ismail Mayat

Guys,

I created a dashboard control that lists all exmaine indexes and you can rebuild them see http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/examine-index-admin dont forget to vote up if you like it ;-}

Regards

Ismail

Mar 08, 2011 @ 12:31
    Thomas

Hi - thanks for the suggestion!

This is an ace extension - but unfortunately we tried this a while back and for the Members it does not reindex.

I tested your package again on my new clean install, and I can see the event firing: when clicking "rebuild" on the Members, two DEL files are added here \App_Data\TEMP\ExamineIndexes\InternalMember\Queue - and as these are processed the files in the index folder does change, but these are just empty segment files (Luke examination confirms this).
    In contrast to this, if I rebuild the InternalIndexer - I see both DEL and ADD files appearing in the queue, and the \index then has the correct data afterwards.

I've checked the UmbracoLog table while rebuilding both these - and there are no error entries. On restarting the app, the indexers appear to be initialised without any errors ([UmbracoExamine] Adding examine event handlers for index providers: 2).

It seems the solutions is to write logic to manually process and re-index members, however as we have many thousands on the live system, there is likely to be performance issues with this - so might resort to adding a simple SQL search for the Members... however this does seem like a total hack, considering that we have membership provides and indexers already there in the system....

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Jul 07, 2011 @ 08:56
    Barry Fogarty

Thomas, Ishmail, any further news on this?  I am researching building a Member Search feature using Umbraco Examine, there will be lots of members and I am concerned to read there is issues with the re-indexing of member nodes.  I will be using 4.7, any ideas if it is still an issue?

@Ishmail Looks like a great package, have you done any further testing regarding member indexing?  Perhaps there is a simple workaround that would fire the indexing?  Or maybe best to hook in to the event model to add or remove members from the index as they are CRUDed

Jul 07, 2011 @ 09:32
    Stefan Kip

I have been playing with the members index yesterday and it was building fine...
    Also I just removed the index, touched the web.config and hit the website, which also made the index rebuild itself.

I'm on 4.7 btw

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft