Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 01, 2010 @ 18:37
    Tim

Copying Media Nodes

Hi,

Is it possible to copy media nodes? As there are now things like the Pixlr extension that allow you to edit an image in the media library, I'd quite like to allow my users to copy media nodes. I tried adding the copy action to media items, and you get the node copier popup, and it says its copied the node, but it hasn't, as nothing shows up in the tree in the folder I asked it to copy to.

Has anyone managed to achieve this? Another way that I'm thinking of it to inject an extra button into the ribbon strip at the top of the page and have that call the code to create a copy, and use the speech bubble to tell them it's copied. Before I go feral on this though, I'd like to know if anyone has done this, or knows of a better way of doing this!

Jul 07, 2010 @ 17:29
    Tim

In case anyone is interested, I've actually figured out how to do this. I tried adding the default copy action, but that copied the item accross as a document rather than a media item (and it didn't copy the file).

What I ended up doing was adding a button to the editmedia.aspx page if the user is editing an image, using an event listener. I then coded a custom copy modal, based on the one from the core, but rewritten for copying media items rather than content items and document types. As part of the copy, it takes accross all the associated images and renames them as well. It's only in very rough and ready beta form at the moment, but if anyone out there is interested, I'll package it up and make it available in the projects section.

• Rick 34 posts 83 karma points
    Jul 21, 2010 @ 20:17
    Rick

Exactly what I was looking for. Would be useful.

• wilberRivera 24 posts 42 karma points
    May 26, 2011 @ 18:12
    wilberRivera

hi Tim, what's the package name you built? thanks!

May 27, 2011 @ 10:06
    Tim

Hi @wilber, I haven't released this a s a package yet, but I've had a few people ask about this recently, so I'm going to try and package this up over the weekend!

:)

• Bluegrass Digital 17 posts 68 karma points
    Jan 04, 2012 @ 11:27
    Bluegrass Digital

Hi @Tim,

Have you managed to create the packagae yet? Sorely need this functionality for our clients projects!! :-)

Cheers
    Mark 

Jan 04, 2012 @ 12:35
    Tim
    Jan 04, 2012 @ 12:44
    Bluegrass Digital

@Tim - thanks - we have actually found it already :-)

We're tweaking your packaage slightly though to allow a user to copy a Media item node + it's sub-folders + any media files across to any other node. Hope you don't mind but that is the requirement we've got at the moment :-)

Cheers
    Mark 

Jan 04, 2012 @ 12:57
    Tim

Not at all! If you want, I can roll your changes into the package when you're done? It's something I've been meaning to do for a while, but not had time to do!

:)

Jan 05, 2012 @ 08:22
    Bluegrass Digital

Ok, no problem - happy for you to do that. I'm also going to add it as a package for Umbraco users to download via our website www.bluegrassdigital.com > we're starting a free Umbraco resource downloads section :-)

Download the unpackaged code here

• syn-rg 282 posts 425 karma points
    Jul 17, 2017 @ 04:31
    syn-rg

Hi Bluegrass Digital, the link is now broken. Do you still have a copy of this package? I’m using 4.11.10 for an old client site so need a quick media copy feature. Regards, Robert

• Miguel Pinto 6 posts 71 karma points c-trib
    May 03, 2012 @ 10:47
    Miguel Pinto

Hi,

Does the AttackMonkey Media Copy or the modified version from Bluegrass Digital work in Umbraco 4.6.1 or 4.7.1?

May 03, 2012 @ 11:00
    Tim

@Miquel, it should do, I don't think it uses any methods that were changed in 4.6.......

May 03, 2012 @ 11:06
    Bluegrass Digital

@Miquel, yes we are using it with 4.7.1 without any problems. 

May 03, 2012 @ 12:59
    Miguel Pinto

Did you install them through the normal package installation process? Or do I need to do anything else?

I suppose that this pakage enables the copy option when I right click on a media folder, right?

May 03, 2012 @ 15:16
    Miguel Pinto

Sorry,

I only noticed now that there is a copy button on the right panel.

@Bluegrass, the changes that you made to AttackMonkey Media Copy are not available as an Umbraco package and do not have an associated license. Does the AttackMonkey Media Copy license apply to your files?

May 03, 2012 @ 15:37
    Bluegrass Digital

@Miquel, yes we haven't gotten round to packaging it yet, so please use the AttackMonkey license :-)

Jul 12, 2012 @ 10:26
    Miguel Pinto

Hi,

Did any of you have problems with the rendering of the copy pop-up in Internet explorer or in Chrome?

Jul 12, 2012 @ 10:49
    Bluegrass Digital

Not the we experienced. Worked fine for us back then - maybe something has changed...

• Mitch 42 posts 157 karma points
    Oct 17, 2012 @ 18:53
    Mitch

Hi

Really need this with the ability to copy subfolders and files. Would do it myself but no time. Has anyone done this yet?

Much appreciated.

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Nov 28, 2012 @ 19:49
    Mark

Can Tim or Bluegrass provide the source code to this? I'd like to compile the Bluegrass version of the DLL so that I can copy child nodes

Nov 29, 2012 @ 09:55
    Tim

@Mark, if you can wait until the weekend, I can stick the source for the original up on Codeplex?

Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:01
    Mark

@Tim, that would be great, thanks. Could you post a reply with the link to the source on codeplex here? Then I will know it's available.

I assume then I just need to replace the moveOrCopy.aspx page and moveOrCopy.aspx.cs class files with Bluegrass Digital's updated versions, compile the AttackMonkey.MediaCopy.dll, and replace the dll and aspx page in the Umbraco instance.

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if I've missed anything.

Dec 03, 2012 @ 20:10
    Mark

Hey Tim. Did you get a chance to upload this yet? I've got a customer who's jumping up and down for media copying.

• Robert Godino 40 posts 129 karma points
    Mar 28, 2013 @ 07:01
    Robert Godino

Hi Mark/Tim, just wondering if the version of the copy package that allows child node copying has been posted yet and under what name?

• Avi 1 post 71 karma points
    May 03, 2017 @ 13:44
    Avi

Did anyone try (and succeeded in) enabling this or something similar on umbraco 7.0+?

I'm wondering if there's any ready solutions for this, attack monkey doesn't seems to work

May 03, 2017 @ 14:50
    Tim

Hi Avi, I don't know of a version for v7. The two packages mentioned here are for v4/6 and won't work on 7 sadly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft