Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BarneyHall 141 posts 210 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 18:46
    BarneyHall

Umbraco post to Facebook and Twitter

Hello, anyone know how I might go about making an Umbraco post automatically appear on a Facebook page and a Twitter account?

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks guys,
    Barney

• Masood Afzal 176 posts 522 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 20:23
    Masood Afzal

Have a look at this package http://our.umbraco.org/projects/twitter-for-umbraco

Jun 25, 2010 @ 09:45
    BarneyHall

Hey Masood, Warren's package displays your Twitter feed on your site, although looking around it seems that Darren's Twitter packgage would cover the post-to-Twitter aspect.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might post to a Facebook page via Umbraco?

Thanks,
    Barney

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Oct 28, 2011 @ 12:23
    Jamie Howarth

Hi Barney,

It'd be a fairly complex process, but you'd have to create a Facebook app, then grant that app access to your user account even when you're not signed in.
    Then you'd have to use the Facebook C# SDK to add a Document.AfterPublish event handler, to retrieve a given user profile, and then post to that user's wall. The documentation should hopefully help you get started.

HTH,

Benjamin

Oct 28, 2011 @ 12:32
    BarneyHall

Hi Benjamin, blimey yep that's beyond this man's skills. Guess it would make an excellent package for some Umbraco bright spark!

Cheers for the reply - was feeling a bit lonely there :)

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Oct 28, 2011 @ 12:34
    Jamie Howarth

No worries. I've built auto-upload-photos-to-Facebook before so I can extend/adapt I guess... :-)

• Anthony Dang 1404 posts 2558 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Oct 28, 2011 @ 12:35
    Anthony Dang

What Benjamin said. Plus Twitterizer for twitter.

But you'd also have to go through the PAINFUL OAuth process for both.

Easiest way is to make a standalone aspx page handles the callback, so you can grab the auth tokens.

Don't get me started on adding twitter and fb accounts from within the dashboard. A painful painful painful process.

• NM71 10 posts 30 karma points
    Jan 10, 2013 @ 02:39
    NM71

I got the oauth token and had it working in console application to pull all the tweets.  But I need to allow the user to enter screen_name to enter to member list in twitter from dash board. For this, I need to check whether the userexists (need oauth) using twitter api call.  When I did this in aspx page and tested.  it worked.  But not in dash board.  Any help?  I get 400-bad data

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jan 10, 2013 @ 06:23
    Amir Khan

An easy way is to create an RSS feed of the documents you want to post to facebook / twitter then use something like ifttt.com to post the RSS feed to twitter, facebook, pinterest, etc.

Jan 10, 2013 @ 16:32
    NM71

Thanks for your reply.  But I am not posting any tweets.  I am trying to use https://api.twitter.com/1/friendships/exists.xml  with oauth to check whether the entered screen name exists.  When I call from aspx page it works fine.  But not with Umbraco.  When I tried to run fiddler, I see the aspx call Url:https://api.twitter.com/1/friendships/exists.xml .  But not when in Umbraco-i.e fiddler does not capture this!! Why?

Feb 25, 2013 @ 17:02
    NM71

api.twitter.com/1/friendships/exists.xml was working-after I deployed to devlopment site.

Now I am trying to change the .xml to .json. 

https://api.twitter.com/1.1/friendships/show.json-from asp.net it is working .  But from umbraco dev I got this error from oauth: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.{"errors":[{"message":"Sorry, that page does not exist","code":34}]}

• Governor Technology 146 posts 551 karma points
    Nov 21, 2014 @ 16:02
    Governor Technology

Hi all

Picking up on this old thread in case anyone is interested, uShare is a package that does the above. As suggested, it indeed makes use of OAuth and the various wrappers to share Umbraco page URLs to Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. As mentioned above, you will need to create an application for your social media provider to allow Umbraco permissions to share on your behalf. uShare allows you to login via the Umbraco backoffice. Some documentation is also included on setting this up in Umbraco as well as setting up your Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter application. It should also give a good starting point to further extensions and flexibility - of which I can think of many other nice ideas to still add in :)

You can find it here on Our or CodePlex.

Rigardt

• Aaron 20 posts 180 karma points
    Mar 08, 2018 @ 16:10
    Aaron

Any chance you will be updating this to support Umbraco 7.9x?

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft