Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham Carr 277 posts 389 karma points
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 11:35
    Graham Carr

Multilingual Datatype

If for example I created a new datatype which uses "Dropdown List" as the render control, is there anyway of making the drodown values that I specify use dictionary items which would ultimately make them multilingual?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 12:27
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Graham,

You could try to use resources.

Mar 06, 2013 @ 12:29
    Graham Carr

Hi Alex,

What do you mean when you say resources? any examples?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 12:31
    Alex Skrypnyk

Do you use .ascx usercontrol?

App_LocalResources

Mar 06, 2013 @ 12:59
    Graham Carr

No, I was talking about using custom data types setup within the Data Types area of Umbraco, which can then be used within either a document type or Contour. I was hoping there would be a way of adding dictionary items that can be used within the values of the custom data type (e.g. a dropdown list)

• Nathaniel Coxall 6 posts 26 karma points
    Nov 21, 2013 @ 11:47
    Nathaniel Coxall

Hi Graham, Did you manage to solve this issue? I've just come across the same question in the project I'm currently working on, and the only solution I can think of at the moment is to have a dictionary item for each value of the datatype, which is aweful, but at least it'll be multilingual I guess?

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 21, 2013 @ 12:53
    Hendy Racher

Hi, as a suggestion, how about using the XPath Templatable List datatype in uComponents - you could use a macro to render your language of choice based on the current user or the tree hierarchy ?

Nov 25, 2013 @ 11:38
    Graham Carr

Hi Nathaniel, in the end I just ended up doing what you suggest, namely created a dictionary item for each value in the dropdown and then referenced to it using the # symbol.

• Blagojce Vojneski 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jun 25, 2015 @ 13:10
    Blagojce Vojneski

Hi Graham Carr,

Can you explain how did you do that?

Thanks, Blagojce

Jun 25, 2015 @ 13:31
    Graham Carr

Hello Blagojce,

All you need to do is prefix the name and value of each dropdown item with a #, e.g.

Mr

Mrs

Miss

All you then need to do is create related dictionary items within the dictionary area of Umbraco under settings.

Jun 25, 2015 @ 13:56
    Blagojce Vojneski

Hi Graham Carr,

Thank you for your fast response.

In Dictionary under Settings I have item with name "network" with "Network" word. In Data types I have Checkbox list with prevalue "#network", but in the Content in backend I have "#network" as option instead of "Network" :(

I'm using Umbraco 7.x

Thanks, Blagojce

Jun 25, 2015 @ 14:21
    Graham Carr

The multi-lingual content would only be displayed when you view the dropdown/checkbox on the front-end of the website, this is how it works on my sites anyway.

I haven't yet tried in Umbraco 7.x so can't really comment on that, but I am not sure how you would get multi-lingual content to appear in the backend.

Jun 25, 2015 @ 14:31
    Blagojce Vojneski

Graham Carr,

It is possible to use Dictionary items for: Property names, Document type names, Tabs etc... in backend, so I expected to be possible for data types prevalues to :)

• Joel 23 posts 108 karma points
    Sep 20, 2017 @ 06:42
    Joel

Hi,

I'm looking at this very problem at the moment and will end up using dictionary values no doubt to get the values.

However one issue I've noted is that whilst using #fieldName works for the field name and shows the corresponding dictionary value for the current language, it doesn't work when using the same method in the placeholder field for text fields. When I use #Email in the placeholder field, when the form is rendered it shows #Email as the placeholder.

Note, it works as expected for the field default value, it appears placeholder is the only area where it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft