Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Byron Delgado 47 posts 70 karma points
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 18:35
    Byron Delgado

Can Examine rebuild indexes without deleting current ones?

Hi, I hope some one could help me with this one please. We have a site, which has its indexes rebuild every 15min. Unfortunatelly while this process is going on, the searches are innacurate as only few records returns.The rebuild process talkes about 10min, but for  the site it is important that the search functionality is always available.

Any help is appreciatted.

Thanks

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 23:26
    Damiaan

Why should you rebuild the index each 15 minutes?  Each time you have a document added, the document is added into the index.  Each time a document is updated, the recored in the index is updated.  And each time a document is deleted, the corresponding records from the index is automatically deleted.  I don't see any reason why to rebuild a complete index each 15 minutes (certainly not if the rebuilding takes 10 minutes).

If the index is to big, you can create your own subsets (multiple indexes), which are smaller to build and maintain.

Kind regards
    Damiaan

Oct 18, 2011 @ 10:57
    Byron Delgado

Hi Damiaan, thanks for answering.

This site is interlinked with other database(no umbraco data) which needs to be searched as well. This database is updated every 15min with the help of a web service, that's why we need to rebuild indexes that often.

I hope this make sense.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 11:28
    Ismail Mayat

Byron,

If your interlinked database needs to be rebuilt every 15mins i would recommend you add triggers to your db tables to call .net assembly that contains indexing code and do incremental add or remove from index so it behaves in the same way as umbraco does rather than going for full rebuild. We are working on site at moment that also has data from third party database but as the data does not change often we do rebuild on nightly basis. 

Regards

Ismail

Oct 18, 2011 @ 18:13
    Byron Delgado

Thanks Ismail, I think I'll go on that route. Thanks to Damiaan as well for getting involved.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft