Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hostdude99 5 posts 25 karma points
    Dec 19, 2010 @ 01:08
    hostdude99

Umbraco Dev vs. Sitecore Dev

I have built 5 Sitecore sites and I have a new client that would prefer to go with Umbraco.  I am always up for new technologies and am pretty excited, especially since the 5.0 version will be based on mvc.  One question I have is how heavily dependant is development in XSLT.  Sitecore markets their product as being "easy" to program with XSLT, but 98% of what I have done has been with c# code.  I notice that Umbraco has a heavy reliance on XSLT as well.  However, I was wondering whether a developer can still develop pages using good old c# and avoid the XSLT.  How heavy is the Umbraco reliance on XSLT?

• Michael Rutherford 53 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 19, 2010 @ 03:11
    Michael Rutherford

I've just started using Umbraco myself AND am a c# developer. Umbraco allows you to create macros and attach them to asp user controls which can indeed be programmed with c#. You can manually copy or just create your visual studio project on top of the umbraco installation.

This got me started.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/codegarden-2009/open-space-minutes/working-in-visual-studio-when-developing-umbraco-solutions/working-in-visual-studio-when-developing-umbraco-solutions-%282nd-way%29

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Dec 19, 2010 @ 06:11
    bob baty-barr

actually, i woudl say there is NO reliance on xslt... xslt just gives non-.net developers a chance to really use an easily extensible CMS without having to crack open Visual Studio, or the likes.

i will tell you, that by the time you launch visual studio... i can create an xslt macro from a template and have it running in umbraco...

you will still be creating the project, adding refernces, coding then building... uploading, creating macro, attaching user control etc.

in that time, i will have the navigation complete, styled sent to the client and most likely approved :)

there is definitely a line where c# and umbraco makes more sense than xslt, but for most basic site functionality with dynamic content... you don't really need to open a c# project.

enjoy your time with umbraco... it truly is a treat to work with!

• Michael Rutherford 53 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 19, 2010 @ 07:05
    Michael Rutherford

I'll have to agree with bob on that. I admit that I did use xslt to generate the lists for my multi level recursive navigation. I'm using a bit of both. Definitely worth giving a chance.

• Kenneth Solberg 227 posts 418 karma points
    Dec 19, 2010 @ 09:34
    Kenneth Solberg

I recommend checking out uQuery in uComponents 2.0:

http://ucomponents.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=uQuery

• Xiuqing Li 12 posts 33 karma points
    Apr 13, 2012 @ 22:53
    Xiuqing Li

I like XSLT, so I will still use Umbraco 4.7, untill my boss tell me to stop :)

• Salman Ansari 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 05, 2012 @ 19:18
    Salman Ansari

I used XSLT in both Sitecore and Umbraco and found that if you want to utilize CMS functionalty then sure you need to use XSLT otherwise there is no meaning using  C# in CMS.So alyaws try to make things dynamic using XSLT or Razor.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft