Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Rasmussen 6 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 10, 2015 @ 09:36
    Thomas Rasmussen

Application shutdown. Reason: "various"

Hi,

Im geeting "Application shutdown." in my log every half/one hour.

The resons differ:
    Application shutdown. Reason: ConfigurationChange
    Application shutdown. Reason: BinDirChangeOrDirectoryRename
    Application shutdown. Reason: HostingEnvironment

The files have not been touched when the error ocures

The server is a Windows 2008 R2. The website folder i located on a share.

Anyone have any experience with this?

/Thomas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 10, 2015 @ 09:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Thomas and welcome to our :)

What version of Umbraco are you using? And has it been acting like this all the time or did it just start to happen? If so what changes have been made? Any custom stuff that could be the cause of this?

Any weird IIS settings that could be the cause?

/Jan

Apr 10, 2015 @ 10:34
    Thomas Rasmussen

The website is currently a version 7.2.1. It is an old site and has been updated several times. It started out as a 4.something.

As for special IIS settings; the app pool has a CPU limit of 85% in 4 minutes -> killW3wp. This rarely occurs, and not at the same time as the “Application shutdown”s.

I am not sure for how long we have had this problem; no one has paid it any attention as it is marked [info] in the log ;)

• Hywel Rees 56 posts 224 karma points
    Apr 10, 2015 @ 12:07
    Hywel Rees

Hi Thomas,

We had a very similar issue, although the reasons were limited to "ConfigurationChange". It happened regularly, even though the configuration files had not been updated (according to the date time stamps).

We added exclusions to the iis web folder for McAffee and the problem stopped.

It may be worth checking / temporarily disabling any virus checking software, to diagnose if this is the cause.

Cheers,

HJR

Apr 10, 2015 @ 14:20
    Thomas Rasmussen

Thanks for the suggestion – I will passed the question about antivirus to the hosting center.

I have also read somewhere that Examine/Lucene index in some case could “stress” IIS to think files are changing when they are not.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 14, 2015 @ 09:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This sounds like the issue over here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6338
    If this is indeed your problem then there's a patch available in the comments that will hopefully help.

Apr 14, 2015 @ 09:44
    Thomas Rasmussen

Hi Sebastian,

The server we are running on is a Windows 2008 R2 - does the patch apply to that also?

/Thomas

Apr 14, 2015 @ 10:16
    Sebastiaan Janssen

We don't know for sure, please check if the mentioned security patches are indeed installed on your server, if so this fix might help.

Apr 16, 2015 @ 08:17
    Thomas Rasmussen

The server does not have KB3000850 or KB3007507 installed.

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Oct 15, 2015 @ 14:57
    Matthew Kirschner

Hello, Thomas.

Did you ever get these issues resolved? I'm having similar problems on a 2012 server (with the MS patch).

Oct 15, 2015 @ 15:05
    Sebastiaan Janssen

(with the MS patch).

Which patch? There's a patch for the broken patch (KB3052480) in case you didn't notice.

Oct 15, 2015 @ 15:19
    Matthew Kirschner

That's the one I'm referring to: the patch of the patch. Basically, our servers are as up-to-date as they need to be.

I'm starting to believe our issues might be related to load-balancing, so I'm going over that documentation for the 10th time just to make sure our set-up is properly configured before continuing to debug. It doesn't help that these errors are so similar to what others are having trouble with.

Oct 19, 2015 @ 10:16
    Thomas Rasmussen

Hi Matthew,

Our files were located on a network share. Moving the files to the webservers filesystem helped in our case. Properly the problem/solution in Sebastiaan post.

/Thomas

Oct 15, 2015 @ 15:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You could also have a look at this one, might help for others with this problem as well: http://www.shazwazza.com/post/all-about-aspnet-file-change-notification-fcn/

Oct 15, 2015 @ 19:01
    Matthew Kirschner

@sebastiaan, That is a VERY interesting article and I'm surprised I haven't come across it yet. I've implemented the suggestion in the article by changing the FCN Mode to 'Single'. I will return here if this has helped reduced the application shutdowns.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Oct 15, 2015 @ 20:12
    Nicholas Westby

This is the first time I've read that article as well. Probably because it was just published today :-)

Oct 16, 2015 @ 18:34
    Matthew Kirschner

Doh, my bad XD

Oct 16, 2015 @ 18:35
    Matthew Kirschner

Since I've made the change to the FCN Mode, I am getting much less application restarts.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft