Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Maria del Valle Duhagon 6 posts 26 karma points
    Feb 13, 2014 @ 21:52
    Maria del Valle Duhagon

System.Web.HttpException executing child request for umbraco.aspx

Hello,

I developed a site using Umbraco 6.1.6. Site works fine on development environment.

After sending the site contents to the client and them installing in their server, the site frontend works but when we access the admin area (/umbraco/ ) we get this error right after login, when it's loading the first page of the admin area:

Exception information: 
        Exception type: HttpException
        Exception message: Error executing child request for umbraco.aspx.
       at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.ExecuteInternal(IHttpHandler handler, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm, Boolean setPreviousPage, VirtualPath path, VirtualPath filePath, String physPath, Exception error, String queryStringOverride)
       at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.Execute(String path, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm)
       at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.Transfer(String path)
       at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Seems like it's failing to load something, but I can't figure out what it is, or why... anyone has any idea why this could be happening? 

Thanks in advance

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2014 @ 01:03
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Maria,

With Umbraco v6 (and earlier) there are a couple of URLs to access the back-office:

• /umbraco/
    • /umbraco/default.aspx (this is effectively the same as /umbraco/)
    • /umbraco/umbraco.aspx

The reason for this is that historically when you went to /umbraco/ it would be a landing page and a pop-up window would open up displaying the /umbraco/umbraco.aspx URL.

Over time a many people complained about the pop-up window, so it was removed and an internal redirect was put in place - redirecting the code from /umbraco/default.aspx to /umbraco/umbraco.aspx ... you can see the Transfer in your error message above.

I'm not sure what is causing the error to be displayed for you on client's web-server. Microsoft offer this support page for the error message: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320439

As an interim measure, I would recommend that your client use the /umbraco/umbraco.aspx URL to access the back-office - this should prevent the error occurring.

Cheers,
    - Lee

• Maria del Valle Duhagon 6 posts 26 karma points
    Feb 14, 2014 @ 14:00
    Maria del Valle Duhagon

Thanks a lot Lee!!

Now at least I know what exactly is failing. I Will try your suggestion, see if /umbraco/umbraco.aspx works

have a nice friday!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft