Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• NightWolf 41 posts 44 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 03:38
    NightWolf

Umbraco and the future

I am planning a reasonably large web application with CMS functionality and see Umbraco been the perfect platform. I have used it to build quite a few websites in the past and from this have also experienced some negative aspects when moving from v3 - v4.

Will moving from v4 - v5 be simple?

The application will include custom sections (main concern) and probably won't be packaged as this seems like a complex process even from v4, correct me if I am wrong.

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 04:08
    Chris Dunn

When version 5 was mentioned at CodeGarden this year it was stated that version 5 will NOT be backward compatible with version 4 and there will not be an automatic upgrade. Version 5 is the MVC version of Umbraco where version 4.x is the web forms version.  But....they are planning to continue to support Umbraco version 4.x, even after v5 :)

For some recap from a code garden presentation about umbraco 5 vs 4.x visit:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/user-groups/australia-and-new-zealand/joint-sessions/what-you-missed-from-codegarden-09---minutes

There are a few powerpoint presentations. Hope that helps in the decision.

-Chris

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 08:19
    Aaron Powell

(There's also a really awesome screen cast! :P)

To keep up to date with the progress of Umbraco and the timelines make sure you keep an eye on the Roadmap - http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/about/roadmap

• NightWolf 41 posts 44 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 08:26
    NightWolf

Thank, I now work freelance and will be dedicating a lot of time and resources to building sites, apps and packages around umbraco, hopefully I will make the core team one day :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft