Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steven Lemmens 30 posts 71 karma points
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 10:16
    Steven Lemmens

UmbracoLibraryCacheDuration: why is it by default 1800 seconds?

Hello everyone.

Recently we've been noticing that a lot of our Umbraco-powered websites are running at a very high memory usage, sometimes up to 1.5 GB (!). We've been digging around to see what the problem is, and we found that there is a setting in UmbracoSettings.config that is called "UmbracoLibraryCacheDuration". According to the documentation this is a setting that controls how long the media items and the Members are stored in memory.

This is, by default, set to 1800 seconds, or 30 minutes.

We've played around with this setting and got it down to 10 seconds without finding any performance impact. The memory footprint of the website dropped drastically, from 1 GB tot 300MB. Why is it by default set to 1800 seconds?

Is there a reason?

• Tom Janssens 2 posts 21 karma points
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 16:59
    Tom Janssens
    I've noticed this too.

I know it's possible to limit the memory usage in the app pool settings, but this seems to be giving me unsatisfactory results.

When you limit the memory, the app pool is recycled everytime  more memory is used than the maximum.

The next request, however, is very slow because the app pool has to restart. This becomes a real problem with websites that have a lot of media items (>= 1000), like one of ours as the memory threshold (200MB) is quickly reached and the app pool recycled.

Why is Umbraco using this much memory and can anything be done about it? 
  • Renan Franca 13 posts 84 karma points
    Mar 17, 2017 @ 13:25
    Renan Franca

First! Thank you! This configuration save my life!

Now I came to retribute... My solution is to use https://www.cloudflare.com/ to reduce the server access!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft