Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bill 43 posts 65 karma points
    Jun 25, 2012 @ 17:48
    Bill

Manage Hostnames issue

Hi all

I'm fairly new to Umbraco but so far very impressed with the speed with which a site can be developed and deployed. I hope you can help with this issue. (version 4.7.2)

2 x local codebases (for 2 developers), plus a staging server connecting to same SQL db for a multisite setup with various homepages, some in the same language, some in different languages. We need to have the three domains represented in the Manage Hostnames section so that within the respective domains the links go to the correct place. This isn't working.

The first entry in the manage hostnames section overrides all subsequent entries so for a homepage:

http://site1/path/to/homepage  lan: en
    http://site2/path/to/homepage  lan: en
    http://site3/path/to/homepage  lan: en

All links on all three domains now will point to http://site3/... ;

Why? This is driving me nuts. How can I make all links point to a path relative to the current domain but still control the 'current language' of a homepage node?

Thanks

Bill

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 25, 2012 @ 18:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bill - welcome to our :)

Have you set the <useDomainPrefix> setting in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file to true?

If I understand your issue correctly I think this might be the issue.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jun 25, 2012 @ 18:47
    Bill

Hi Jan,

Thanks for replying so quickly! Unfortunately, I can confirm that in the config, usedomainprefixes is already true:

<useDomainPrefixes>true</useDomainPrefixes>

Any other ideas I can try please?

Thanks again,

Bill

Jun 25, 2012 @ 18:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bill

Can you post an image of how you have setup the hostnames? I think it'll help me understand what you're doing in more depth because right now I'm not 100% sure I get how you have set it up.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:07
    Bill

Sure thing:

In this setup, all links from all three domains point to magconsumer.lastexitlondon.com. The issue arises after the other domains (ie localhost and gilmour) republish entire site.

And this is the site tree:

The highlighted 'en' node is the desired homepage node for this subsite. The 'en' node below is a homepage node for another subsite. Other language nodes will be added to at the relevant levels in due course.

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks

Bill

Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bill

Ok, I will need some time to think about what could be the issue here. However for any future readers of this post my initial advise does not help in this case since this is multiple hostnames on the same root node. I thought there was an issue with multiple root nodes.

I will get back to you if I figure out something.

/Jan

Jun 26, 2012 @ 11:02
    Bill

Great, will watch this space.

There will eventually be lots of homepage nodes at each of the three levels, all translated into multiple languages too. We could concievably move all the seperate homepage nodes into root nodes but obviously, it would be much much easier for the content producers to keep the current heirarchy if possible.

Thanks,

Bill

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Jul 24, 2012 @ 16:32
    Mark

I am also experiencing the same issue. Is there a work around?

Jul 24, 2012 @ 16:34
    Bill

I'm still waiting to hear of a workaround. It's causing us a huge headache on a produciton server, getting pretty stressed about it.

Any update, guys?

Jul 24, 2012 @ 20:49
    Bill

Can anyone please help with this blocking bug?

It's seriously causing us a lot of issues.

• Donatello 5 posts 44 karma points
    May 21, 2015 @ 18:32
    Donatello

Old thread but first link on Google so for anyone having the same issue, adding those two lines once the application has started solves this issue:

SiteDomainHelper.AddSite("local","siteone.local","sitetwo.local");
    SiteDomainHelper.AddSite("staging","siteone.staging","sitetwo.staging");

thanks to this guy: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/46842-Multiple-hostnames-for-one-root-node-how-does-it-work#comment167828

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft