Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andreas Pfanner 196 posts 314 karma points
    Dec 28, 2010 @ 13:54
    Andreas Pfanner

UI/Backend language confusion

Hello,

I've added to languages to Umbraco in order to get multilingual frontend and backend:

- German (Germany) 

- English (United Kingdom)

I figured out that if I set a users language to English in the admin interface, the language English (United States) isn't used, but English (United Kingdom). So I used that one..

I also set my frontend pages to use these 2 languages.

Now I've installed the XSLTSearch package, which added the language English (United States). So now I have to take all the dictionary entries to  English (United Kingdom) in order to work. I would like to avoid that for other packages, so would it be better in general to use English (United States) instead? But how to get the backend using this one?
    What's best practice here?

Best Regards

Andreas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 28, 2010 @ 14:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andreas

If I understand your post correctly you want to know how to show the properties on a node in the language that the the user logged in to the backend needs to see. If a german is logged in the text of the properties needs to be in german, right?

In that case I'll recommend that you have a look at Doug's slides from the Umbraco UK Festival here http://www.umbracoukfestival.co.uk/media/676/did%20you%20know%20-%20umbraco%20uk%20festival.pdf

Pages 31-37 shows how to use the dictionary to translate the properties names.

I'm pretty sure that there was also a wiki-entry about this but I can't seem to find it at the moment though. Will post if I find it and this is what you're asking for.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 28, 2010 @ 15:09
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Jan, 

I already use backend localization (properties, tabs,..). But the backend only supports to set English (UK) as a users language, while packages like XSLTSearch comes with English (US) string resources, and adds this additonal english language entry if it doesn't exist. I would like umbraco to have a fallback to English (UK) if English (US) is expected but not available and vice versa. After I've installed XSLTSearch I manually copied the English (US) values to my English (UK) dictionary, whats not very elegant. So how to handle that better? I must use English (UK) due to available user setting languages, but there are packages coming with English (US). Do you know what I mean?

Best Regards
    Andreas

Dec 28, 2010 @ 15:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andreas

Hmmm...I just checked the user section on a umbraco 4.5.2 install and it supports other languages than uk english. What version of Umbraco are you running? If it's below 4.5.2 I think that there are language packs that can be added.

But I'm not sure if it will solve your problem in question entirely though...Allthough I think that with the need languages installed it should be possible for you to translate properties for XSLTsearch etc.

/Jan

Dec 28, 2010 @ 15:35
    Andreas Pfanner

Jan, I use 4.5.2, and of course it supports other languages, but it doesn't support English (US), while packages may use that instead of English (UK). Do you understand my "conflict"? 

So I use English (UK), and a package comes with English (US) string resources and adds English (US)  to my languages. Now I have to take all strings of that package to English (UK) and delete English (US). Is that really the right workflow?

Dec 28, 2010 @ 15:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Oooh, I'm sorry! Now I get what you're saying - unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you. But maybe some of the other gurus in here have the solution for you :-)

I don't know what is the right workflow for this - But what you're doing seems to be an acceptable workaround even though I can see it's a bit cumbersome.

/Jan

• James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Feb 25, 2011 @ 01:59
    James Telfer

@Andreas, I just had the same issue.

It's not a great fix, but if you edit the ~/umbraco/config/lang/en.xml file, and edit the attribute "culture" to be en-US, it will work. While you're at it, you can also change "intName" to be "English (us)".

Hope this helps,
    JT

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft