Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• stephen liu 12 posts 32 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 13:55
    stephen liu

website migration

hi all,

im running a website with umbraco 4.5.2 with specs as windows 2003 server, IIS6 and .NET v4.0 on a dev environment. say, if i like to migrate the entire website+database to a server with 2008R2, IIS7 and .NET4.0. can i just go ahead and copy the enire web folders and the database to where the new server points to? could it be that simple? any advice is appreciated.

regards,

Stephen.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:01
    Rich Green

Hi Stephen,

I've not done this but really can't see why there should be any problems, especially as you're already running .NET 4.

There are differences in permissions & app pools in IIS6 & IIS7 but obviously this is the case with any site, not just umbraco ones. So the only issues I can see is making sure you get the permissions set right.

Obviously you'll want to test the new install before taking the old site down :)

Rich

Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:07
    stephen liu

hi rich,

it sounds quite reasonable to me as well.. but unfortunately, i've got 3 errors (taken from the event viewer) after setting up the site as follows, please get me some input..

1.An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.
    Application ID: DefaultDomain
    Process ID: 248
    Exception: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException
    Message: Unable to find assembly 'Lucene.Net, Version=2.9.2.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    StackTrace:    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryAssemblyInfo.GetAssembly()
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.GetType(BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, String name)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectMap..ctor(String objectName, String[] memberNames, BinaryTypeEnum[] binaryTypeEnumA, Object[] typeInformationA, Int32[] memberAssemIds, ObjectReader objectReader, Int32 objectId, BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, SizedArray assemIdToAssemblyTable)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryObjectWithMapTyped record)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at System.AppDomain.Deserialize(Byte[] blob)
       at System.AppDomain.UnmarshalObject(Byte[] blob)

2.Application: w3wp.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: Lucene.Net.Index.MergePolicy+MergeException
    Stack:
       at Lucene.Net.Index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.HandleMergeException(System.Exception)
       at Lucene.Net.Index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler+MergeThread.Run()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

3. Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd0eb
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfe0
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000aa7d
    Faulting process id: 0xf8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb84b102ef24b7
    Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 42acfe19-f0a4-11df-acaf-005056a60022

Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:09
    stephen liu

further point to address here that this is a brand new site, which never existed before.

thanks..

Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:11
    Rich Green

So are you moving to code over? Or fresh install onto windows 2008?

Based on your errors I would doubel and triple check permissions and application pool is integrated and .net 4.

Rich

Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:14
    stephen liu

i copied the entire website over and its not a fresh installation.

is could there be any guildes that i can compared against my current configuration ?

Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:20
    Rich Green

If this is your first install on this server you might want to do a 100% clean install to work out the tweaks, then use this as base for the project you want to move over.

Here's an install guide for 2008 http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008

Rich

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:41
    Tom Maton

A quick way to check your permissions are correct is too to the following URL

http://yourdomain.com/install/default.aspx?installStep=validatePermissions

Tom

Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:00
    stephen liu

ok.. now i get HTTP Error 503. after logging in to the backend.

Stephen

Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:10
    stephen liu

i forgot to mention, the folders/files  are located in a shared storage and im not able to grant permission to IIS AppPool to it. but alternatively i have an service account which has access right to the folder.

any suggestion?

Stephen

Nov 15, 2010 @ 16:04
    stephen liu

silly me.. a bit embarrassing to tell but its because of the permission to the ApplicationPoolIdentity is never granted. instead, i replaced it with the service account... its all good now.. thanks for the clue..

stefan

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 16:12
    Tom Maton

Hi Stephen,

I normally get that when either the ASP.NET user or NETWORK SERVICE doesn't have full control pemissions or a TRUST LEVEL issue.

Are you able to find what trust level you are running in on the server.

Cheers

Tom

• Stefan van Leusden 21 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 10:02
    Stefan van Leusden

Simular issue as above.

I also ran into this problem with an Umbraco 4.6 site (after windows updates). The AppPool kept craching which gave a 503 error.

Fix: delete files from AppData/TEMP/ClientDependency + ExamineIndexes and recycle the AppPool.

/Stefan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft