May 10, 2017 @ 13:01
    david

Umbraco 8.0

i have 3 websites.

• website 1 has 90% visits from mobile
    • website 2 has 73% visits from mobile
    • website 3 has 70% visits from mobile

im not sure about other webmasters

it would be great if umbraco can run a poll so that the results will give a good understanding about the shift thats happening around us

if the average % of visits from mobile is higher than 50% and growing continuously for the past 6months

shouldnt Umbraco be a mobile first platform based on Xamarin ?

or

shouldnt Umbraco create 2 builds

1. Desktop First Build
    2. Mobile First Build

because the sooner the project is live the more people can adopt umbraco

• Tim Watts 90 posts 395 karma points
    May 10, 2017 @ 15:01
    Tim Watts

Hi David, and welcome to Our.

It's an interesting first message, to raise such a large question. Are you a current Umbraco user or is it something you are possibly investigating for the future? This is not clear from your post.

It's a well known fact that mobile visitors now exceed desktop, for example see here. Is it the client facing website which you feel should be rewritten using Xamarin, or the Umbraco back office? I'd expect that the former would be much more likely (and much more useful) than the latter.

As to where Umbraco is going in the short term, feel free to look through the Roadmap here. This only goes up to Umbraco 8 which is penciled in for later this year.

If you want to contribute to Umbraco then see how to here, perhaps you could help it move in the direction you have outlined.

Regards,

Tim

• david 36 posts 180 karma points
    May 11, 2017 @ 09:26
    david

Tim,

Let me explain what i expect Eg: Im a small retailer and i want to start a website to sell apparel I hire a tech guy to build a website for me so he builds my website www.fashionretailer.com on umbraco then, i find most of my visitors are consuming my website on mobile well, the mobile responsive website works well but i want to amp up the game so, i want more way to push content to my website visitors - send push notifications - send geo based offers - let him to track his orders on the way etc

so, i see these can be done the best way in a mobile app than a webapp so, i need 3-5 guys to build an app android guy windows guy ios guy UX engineer project manager etc

and still i have to build it from the scratch product catalog, promo/coupon mechanism, validdations etc etc if there is a Xamarin build i can download from Umbraco and customize the app and publish any of my apps in any of my preferred store that will complete my tech mission

So, an app build is for the consumer end not for the webmaster, why would a webmaster need an app to manage all the task?

• Tim Watts 90 posts 395 karma points
    May 11, 2017 @ 10:13
    Tim Watts

What you suggest sounds great, but I'm not sure how high a priority Xamarin would be when there are always bug fixes and improvements to make.

As I said in my original post, if you want to see how you can contribute then I'm sure it would be welcomed by the community! ;)

Tim

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    May 10, 2017 @ 19:29
    John Bergman

What is the perceived benefit of using Xamarin in this case? Are we talking about moving away from being web-based?

May 11, 2017 @ 09:28
    david

John,

No, i think there should be 2 builds

1.Desktop first Build - to run a website and to run an admin 2.Mobile first Build - to publish app to GooglePlay, Appstore and Windows Store etc which can be downloaded by consumers

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    May 11, 2017 @ 08:36
    Simon Justesen

I'm curious too - why mobile first? :)

From an editors perspective, I believe most users would want to do most of the heavy editing in a desktop environment, especially if you're going to work with a lot of content and images which can lead to many clicks back and fourth between screens (content section, media section) and dialogs. And maybe you're doing actual corrections to the text - I'd hate to do that on a mobile phone or a tablet (unless I had a keyboard and a mouse, but then we're back in a desktop scenario)

For quick news updates that do not require much editing, then posting from a mobile phone does work, but cut n' pasting text from another source is a bit cumbersome to say the least.

May 11, 2017 @ 09:31
    david

yes, the apps are for the consumers not for the webmasters

example:

www.polyvore.com is for consumers on desktop

www.polyvore.com/admin is for webmasters

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.polyvore is for mobile first consumers

• pbl_dk 150 posts 551 karma points
    May 11, 2017 @ 09:16
    pbl_dk

David, you must be referring to the umbraco backoffice, since the frontend is as mobile-first as anything. (It's up to you as a developer).

But the backoffice is already responsive. So it should be possible to post by ipad or tablet.

Xamarin doesnt really make sense here, I think unless you want umbraco to build to apps?

May 11, 2017 @ 09:52
    david

As a developer,

if i want to build a website i can download Umbraco or nopcommerce or dotnetnuke etc

if i want to build an app

no one provide nothing so far

if umbraco can provide a build like

https://github.com/jamesmontemagno/MyShoppe

i should be able to use umbraco for my website and app both

Im a developer, developer, developer i develop websites and app

IM NOT SOMEONE WHO PUBLISHES ARTICLES ON WEBSITES so, im thinking from a developer's perspective and looking umbraco as a developer's platform

• Laurent Lequenne 122 posts 247 karma points
    May 12, 2017 @ 12:38
    Laurent Lequenne

Umbraco, ASP.NET provides a lot of features that can help you to provide server side information => either it returns HTML, JSON, or whatever you want.

You can build with Xamarin anything you want that could retrieve data from a server.

What could be great is to have some standard API that can help you to work with the mobile user profile more easily, and to have a real personalization plateform. Maybe some other CMS can do it better with already existing functionality :-)

For the parallel of mobile and web. With Xamarin, you could reuse a part of the server development... Views, and models to where data could be retrieved by some Web API you still need to write :-).

• Laurent Lequenne 122 posts 247 karma points
    May 12, 2017 @ 12:45
  • mohammad irshad 2 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 24, 2021 @ 12:18
    mohammad irshad

Hey this sitecore exprience is a great fit for his he just needs to learn sitecore for it

• pbl_dk 150 posts 551 karma points
    May 11, 2017 @ 09:59
    pbl_dk

Sure, it's a neat idea. :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft