Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Mar 20, 2017 @ 12:27
    Niels Hartvig

Umbraco 7.6 feedback

Hi Everyone!

As you might have noticed, we've released the beta of Umbraco 7.6 - full details here. We'd love feedback and the more we get the faster it'll go from Beta to Release.

For general feedback use this forum post, but for specific bug reports, please use the issue tracker.

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Mar 20, 2017 @ 14:33
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Niels (and the rest of the team),

great work getting 7.6-beta out! Tested it shortly (will do it more next week), but really love the new content picker and the way listviews are handled. A really big editor-improvement!

• I'm wondering if there are any plans to also upgrade the Insert/Edit-link functionality in rich text editors so that it supports the listview-previewing instead of the "Search..."-functionality?

Of course, I'm also really happy that the security is given some TLC :). Really glad that finally legacyEncoding is defaulted to false, the minimum password length is set to 10 and allowManuallyChangingPassword is set to false.

• And how about setting minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters to 1 :)?

All new Umbraco installs now will have the most secure settings possible(http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6566#)!

• But I hope you can reopen this issue (http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6566#) and give it some additional TLC, because I think this will be very annoying for administrators in the future, and everyone will set allowManuallyChangingPassword to true.

A few questions remain, hope these can be answered shortly:

• Were there any specific arguments to change the colours of the backoffice to these colours? Is it just because someone liked these colours better, or is there some deeper thought behind it?
    • Why is SignalR implemented in the core. Tried to look it up in the issue (http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-8908) but it remains pretty cryptic for an outsider. Can you give some additional background information about this and some ideas what we could do with it?

Keep up the great work, can't wait until the final release (will do some testing next week, to make it a final release),

Jeffrey

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Mar 20, 2017 @ 16:36
    Niels Hartvig

Great feedback, Jeffrey!

I'm wondering if there are any plans to also upgrade the Insert/Edit-link functionality in rich text editors so that it supports the listview-previewing instead of the "Search..."-functionality?

We should - we honestly missed this one (it also needs auto-focus on url when you open the dialog). We'll look at it for 7.6.x.

But I hope you can reopen this issue (http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6566#)

That's the same issue that was quoted above - copy/paste error?

Were there any specific arguments to change the colours of the backoffice to these colours? Is it just because someone liked these colours better, or is there some deeper thought behind it?

The color set was a part of a design manual that was made a couple of years ago. We wanted the back office to have a friendlier look and more clear branding without taking the focus away from the important part - peoples content. That's also why you still won't see Umbraco logos when you login. With the roll-out of 7.6 final we'll be using the new color sets across umbraco.com, Cloud, Our, CMS and hopefully also TV (although that might be a little later)

Why is SignalR implemented in the core.

We want to enable more real-time features for both CMS but also Cloud. SignalR will also make many things easier for us down the line such as alerting of other users are editing a page, sync the content tree, show status of long running tasks (bulk-publish, big deploys, etc).

Mar 21, 2017 @ 04:49

Hi Niels,

thanks for your reply. That makes a lot of sense.

Aaargh... And about the copy-paste-issue :(... The issue I tried to mention was http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-7009. It's about the fact that an user when editing his password should always enter his old password, but administrators when resetting a password should never have to enter the old one. Currently it is one and the same control for users and administrators, but by setting the AllowManuallyChangePassword to false it requires administrators also to enter the old password. As said I hope that you guys can give it some attention

Cheerio, Jeffrey

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 21, 2017 @ 08:24
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Thanks for the double-check! I could've sworn it was showing the little "reset password" checkbox which would generate and save a new password without knowing the old one.

• Tom Madden 252 posts 454 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Mar 21, 2017 @ 09:08
    Tom Madden

Hi,

2 first thoughts after 5 minutes of playing with the beta

Is there a config setting to turn off property value converters (as was discussed in the bug tracker)? I think this will break a lot of existing sites and probably put of some people testing the beta with existing sites?

Is there any scope to improve the new MNTP? It may be too late at beta stage (and one of these may be ruled out anyway), but if would be good to be able to change a link, and it would also be good to be able to specify a different title (like the RJP Multi URL Picker)

HTH t

Mar 21, 2017 @ 10:24
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Is there a config setting to turn off property value converters

It is off by default for upgrades, set <EnablePropertyValueConverters>false</EnablePropertyValueConverters> in umbracoSettings.config if not.

Is there any scope to improve the new MNTP?

At this stage we're feature complete and focused on bugs :)

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 21, 2017 @ 15:35
    Nicholas Westby

Is there any scope to improve the new MNTP? It may be too late at beta stage (and one of these may be ruled out anyway), but if would be good to be able to change a link, and it would also be good to be able to specify a different title (like the RJP Multi URL Picker)

I recommend Archetype or Nested Content for more sophisticated link editing capabilities: https://code101.net/links-in-umbraco-are-broken-but-alternatives-exist-1fe89aae2093

• Kasem Vaewsugnoen 3 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 21, 2017 @ 14:28
    Kasem Vaewsugnoen

If I want to upgrade from 7.5x. Is it possible? I stuck on backend login and get password incorrect.

Mar 21, 2017 @ 15:19
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yes, but you've merged the web.config so you've updated useLegacyEncoding to be false in the usersMembershipProvider. Which means the stores password, in legacy format, can not be verified. Make sure to set this setting back to true.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Mar 22, 2017 @ 18:35
    Connie DeCinko

For someone looking to migrate a 6.2.6 site, what do you recommend?

Do an in place upgrade?

Can I create a fresh install and migrate my content/database and leave all the ghosts behind?

If I start with a fresh install, which is better, Web Matrix or NuGet?

• Kevin Jump 2309 posts 14673 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Mar 24, 2017 @ 15:31
    Kevin Jump

the tinyest of feed back on the tiny editor boxes.

the font change has made the tiny editor boxes a little to small.

so for example on image cropper.

enter image description here

or re-ordering tabs

the numbers get cropped off.

i think they are using different classes underneath but they just need widening a little.

• Peter Jensen 32 posts 137 karma points
    Apr 11, 2017 @ 10:58
    Peter Jensen

Love the colors and the pickers are allso very very nice

i have noticed one thing about the saved data from the pickers. now they store a "uri" to the document. How do we look those id's up in and ApplicationEventHandler for example ?

Apr 12, 2017 @ 07:47

Hi all,

wrote a blog-post about Umbraco 7.6 with some more details about the new version: https://www.perplex.nl/en/blog/2017/what-s-new-in-umbraco-7-6/.

Cheerio,

Jeffrey

• Mik 7 posts 79 karma points
    Apr 24, 2017 @ 01:46
    Mik

Niels mentioned a design manual earlier. Is there a public styleguide available for Umbraco branding, typography, colours, etc? Would be nice to have.

Increasing minimum password length to 10 is a bold change. Absolutely not against it, but I can see some having to drop it to 8 or so for some client's sake.

• Genc Kastrati 86 posts 401 karma points
    Apr 26, 2017 @ 09:56
    Genc Kastrati

Hi Niels,

I am trying to upgrade from 7.5.x to 7.6 but am getting runtime errors concerning log4net version. 7.6 comes with version 1.2.15, and that is what I am adding as a reference, but then seems like something else is (Courier?) asking for 1.12.11.

Seems like 'Umbraco.Courier.Core.Logging.CourierLogHelper' is using 1.12.11. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you! Genc

Apr 26, 2017 @ 11:39
    Genc Kastrati

Ugh, nevermind, it was this.

May 01, 2017 @ 14:10
    Genc Kastrati

Hello Umbracians, has index optimization been removed from 7.6?

May 01, 2017 @ 15:13
    Nicholas Westby

has index optimization been removed from 7.6?

Are you referring to the recent enhancements to make the Examine indexing process run faster?

Or, do you mean the "Optimize Index" button available via the Examine Management dashboard?

May 01, 2017 @ 15:16
    Genc Kastrati

Hi Nicholas,

The button indeed. When I look at the status now, it says "Optimized? False" (like in the screenshot). Also, it is running quite a bit slower on my localhost.

Thank you, g

May 01, 2017 @ 15:29
    Nicholas Westby

I will leave it to somebody who knows the answer to post it, but I can guess that the "Rebuild Index" also optimizes the index, and so maybe the thought was that the "Optimize Index" button was redundant.

May 01, 2017 @ 15:30
    Genc Kastrati

Maybe, but the status says "false" for Optimized. Or maybe there is a different way to optimize it.

May 01, 2017 @ 15:34
    Nicholas Westby

Does it still say "false" after rebuilding the index and refreshing the page?

May 01, 2017 @ 15:35
    Genc Kastrati

Yep, "false" does not go away even after a re-build or refresh of the page.

May 01, 2017 @ 15:47
    Nicholas Westby

Looks like this indeed deserves some attention. I did some testing on an install of Umbraco on 7.5.11 just to compare the behavior to 7.6, and here's what I found. First, the index in its initial state (not optimized):

Index Not Optimized

Then after I clicked "Rebuild Index" and refreshed the page, it was rebuilt but still not optimized:

After Rebuild

I then clicked "Optimize Index" and it finally showed up as optimized:

After Optimize

If the "Optimize Index" button was removed from 7.6 for whatever reason, I'm curious why that would be done, but the "Optimized?" indicator would be left in. That would tell you the index hasn't been optimized, but it would leave you with no means of optimizing it. Very curious.

May 01, 2017 @ 15:52
    Genc Kastrati

Yes, this worked very well on 7.5.x. Our live site is still running on 7.5.11, and so far I've tested 7.6 from downloading it on the Umbraco site and upgrading my localhost. Maybe the optimize button was dropped by accident?

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    May 02, 2017 @ 14:31
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

Getting a funky issue with "media picker" sorting on v7.6

Seems to be wanting to save them as the old "IDs". Which is causing issues with the ModelsBuilder. A "re-save" seems to get it back working

http://recordit.co/qp0zpUUfyE

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-9838

Primarily relates to this issue, as reported by Per - http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-9704

Hopefully a quick patch release fix on this one please :-)

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Jun 16, 2017 @ 10:24
    MuirisOG

The back office is looking sleek! Well done...

I know you are phasing out WebForms, but have they already gone in Umbraco 7.6.3

I'm trying to set up a test site for 7.6.3 and to date, all my test sites are using WebForms and the masterpages folder. The work on these will go into the final build of Umbraco that we put live, and as we are about to go live next week, I want to be on the latest version when we do that.

I've changed the default render engine to WebForms, but when I create a template, it tries to use MVC.

Any help would be appreciated because I am in last-minute panic mode.

Thanks

Muiris

Jun 16, 2017 @ 12:24
    Sebastiaan Janssen

When you delete the MVC view from disk, the webforms template will be used.

FYI: There is no editing of the webforms template in the backoffice though.

Jun 16, 2017 @ 13:08
    MuirisOG

Sebastiaan

many thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say delete the MVC view from disk. Is it the entire folder (as we use MacroPartials for breadcrumbs and a sidebar menu) or the Partials folder and the Views/web.config file.

As for editing webforms templates, I guess we can always use Visual Studio.

We've been working on this project for some time now, and with the help of the Forum here on Our, managed to keep pace with the changes to Umbraco.

I'm worried that v7.6.3 might be a step too far for us at the moment, especially as we hope to go live next week, so maybe we should stick with v7.5.13 (our last successful build using WebForms).

Migrating to MVC is what we like to call Phase 2.

Thanks

Muiris

Jun 16, 2017 @ 13:10
    Sebastiaan Janssen

When you create a template, say for example TextPage - Umbraco creates ~/Views/TextPage.cshtml. Once you delete that one and have a ~/MasterPages/TextPage.aspx file in place then Umbraco will use the aspx page.

Does that make sense? :-)

Jun 16, 2017 @ 14:13
    MuirisOG

yes,

that has worked.

I'll continue in v7.6.3 and import from our old (Immediacy) CMS, and I'll let you know how I get on, but so far (bar not being able to edit the template/masterpage, as you already pointed out), it is looking superb.

Many thanks

Muiris

• Doobear 21 posts 111 karma points
    Jul 07, 2017 @ 14:11
    Doobear

Hi,

Just setup my first 7.6 Umbraco project but I can't seem to get the image cropper working.

Where previously I would use @Umbraco.Media(CurrentPage.BackgroundImage).GetCropUrl("banner") in v 7.6.3 I just get an empty string. If I now use CurrentPage.BackgroundImage.Url I get the image but how do I add the cropping?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 07, 2017 @ 14:16
    Tom Madden

IIRC,

it should be CurrentPage.BackgroundImage.GetCropUrl("cropAlias")

HTH t

Jul 07, 2017 @ 14:24
    Doobear

Thanks Tom,

I did try that but I just get the error 'Umbraco.Web.Models.PublishedContentWithKeyBase' does not contain a definition for 'GetCropUrl'

I'm a bit stuck on this one.

Any other ideas?

Jul 07, 2017 @ 14:44
    Tom Madden

Interesting,

I'd expect the CurentPage to be an IPubishedContent object. Are you doing anything special to change it to PublishedContentWithKeyBase?

My view starts with this inherits statement @inherits UmbracoViewPage

HTH

t

Jul 07, 2017 @ 15:29
    Doobear

I inherit from UmbracoTemplatePage.

If I change to UmbracoViewPage then the dynamic CurrentPage.... doesn't get recognised.

I haven't changed anything else anywhere. What's the difference with UmbracoTemplatePage and UmbracoViewPage?

Thanks

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 07, 2017 @ 15:52
    Nik

Hi Doobear,

I would do the following:

var mediaItem = Umbraco.TypedMedia(Model.Content.GetPropertyValue("backgroundImage"));

if(mediaItem != null)
    {
       var cropUrl = mediaItem.GetCropUrl("banner");
    }

It is generally best to avoid dynamics in my experience, the above code uses the typed side of things and also assumes you are inheriting from UmbracoTemplatePage

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft