Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 94 posts 255 karma points
    May 19, 2016 @ 02:51
    Stephen

Standard images created in a media folder that only permits certain image types (is it a bug)?

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is in the correct area, sorry if not.

I am not sure if this is a bug as such, but surely it should not happen.

OK, so I have created a special image type with specific cropping sizes (on other occasions I have included extra fields for text etc)

I have then created a folder that only excepts this type of image.

BUT if you just drag and drop (or click the upload link) into the media folder, it just automatically creates a standard image, which is no use for me, and users require too much training to remember they can't just drag and drop etc.

Does this need to be logged as a bug?

Thanks

Stephen

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    May 19, 2016 @ 08:38
    Shannon Deminick

Hi,

What you are experiencing is the correct way that Umbraco works. The media library is for your Raw images. We no longer physically crop the files when they are saved, this is legacy logic from pre v7 days.

Crops are dynamic and always will be. If we were to only store the crop based on the Raw image uploaded, then you'd never be able to re-crop with a new size (lets say in case you design changes).

You do not have to train anyone on using crops, crops are generated dynamically when it is requested. This is done requesting your image with custom crop dimensions in the query string and is processed by Image Processor. Normally you'd render a crop using the GetCropUrl methods, see: https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Getting-Started/Backoffice/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors/Image-Cropper (Note: there's a ton of overloads for GetCropUrl)

May 19, 2016 @ 08:56
    Stephen

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your comments, but that wasn't quite what I was saying. If we ignore the cropping related stuff, and focus on custom image media type and custom media folders.

The issue is I am creating a custom image type to ONLY be used in a custom folder. I.e ONLY that custom images is permitted in the custom folder.

That's fine if you use the menu system, it will only let you create an image of that type. BUT it you follow the on screen suggestions (as any user would), and you drag and drop (or click the upload link) a standard image is created, which could be missing all sorts of stuff.

Now I have an incorrect image type stored, causing potential problems, and users saying "I did what it said on the screen".

Get what I mean. Is this a bug, imo it is, or is there simple further configuration I could have done to mitigate this?

Thanks

Stephen

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    May 19, 2016 @ 09:46
    Shannon Deminick

Sorry for the confusion, yes I totally understand what you are saying. This has actually be logged on the tracker but hasn't got too much attention. Here's the original issue (there was a duplicate there too):

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4196

I've updated the issue with a proposed solution and marked it as up-for-grabs as I would absolutely love to see if a community member could pick this up for 7.5 release. With CodeGarden on its way, there isn't much time at the HQ to get this done until after CodeGarden some time.

May 19, 2016 @ 23:41
    Stephen

Thanks very much. Currently out side my skill set I'm afraid, or I would be happy to have a go.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft