x First time here? Check out the FAQ

Come work for Umbraco - The Umbraco HQ are hiring Project managers, .NET developers and DevOps people!

• Avatar1861posts7344karma
    adminCoreMVP

Different robots.txt files for mutli-site installs

Jeavon Leopold started this topic July 21, 2011 @ 05:05, Go directly to the topic solution

Hi Lee,

I have a situation where I need different robots.txt files for different sites all in the same Umbraco install, currently I have done this by using textbox multiple data type and a URLRewritting rule but I would love to be able to use the editor from your package as it really helps our editors manage rules.

I can think of two potential approaches:

1. Extend your package to support different robots.txt files but currently you are directly edit a physical file so might be complicated as would need to make to serving of the file become virtual, dependant on url

2. Use your code to create a usercontrol wrapper data type that can be used in content

I'm thinking option 2, but would really appreciate your opinion?

Regards,

Jeavon

• Lee Kelleher posted this reply July 21, 2011 @ 05:28

HI Jeavon,

Take a look at Sebastiaan's Cultiv DynamicRobots package. I think it provides the functionality that you require.

Otherwise, yes, feel free to take the source code and modifiy accordingly.

Cheers, Lee.

• Jeavon Leopold posted this reply July 21, 2011 @ 05:34

Hi Lee,

Sebastian's package is great if you have the same robots.txt for all sites but need to change the sitemap, but we actually have completely different contents of robots.txt per site, one site actually blocks everything and others are using the default Umbraco. I think I’m going to have a go at converting your editor to a data type. Will let you know how it goes. J

Thanks,

Jeavon

• Lee Kelleher posted this reply July 21, 2011 @ 05:39

Hi Jeavon,

Hmmm... more I think about it, more I like the idea of a robots.txt data-type! :-)

Let me know how it goes. If you think it's worthwhile including it in the main package, then I'm happy to add you as a collab on the project, etc.

Thanks, Lee.

• Jeavon Leopold posted this reply July 21, 2011 @ 05:44

Cool, will keep you posted

Cheers,

Jeavon

• Jeavon Leopold posted this reply July 25, 2011 @ 03:19

Hey Lee,

I have a user control wrapper data type working well, I can email you a test package/source if your interested? If/when I have more time, I would like to create a proper Abstract Data Editor but for now this is great!

Cheers,

Jeavon

• Lee Kelleher posted this reply July 25, 2011 @ 03:28

Hey Jeavon,

Thanks great news!  Drop me an email (when you've got time - no rush), would love to take a look at it. Interested in including it with the rest of the package.

#h5yr

Cheers, Lee.

• Sebastiaan Janssen posted this reply July 25, 2011 @ 06:12

Ooh, this sounds interesting, could probably obsolete my whole package. I'll keep an eye on this topic for progress.,

• Ingen posted this reply August 9, 2012 @ 08:46

Did anyone make a package? I need this as well now, have tried a few things I've found elsewher but no luck yet.

Please login or Sign up To post replies