Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AvihayBit 149 posts 303 karma points
    Oct 18, 2014 @ 19:45
    AvihayBit

Umbraco Variations and Segments - When this wonderful idea will be in umbraco?

Hi I just struggled this week trying to make a 1:1 site translation and got to this wonderful Umbraco Variations and Segments Overview Niels Hartvig overview.

Its looks even better solution than I was hoping for. Anyone knows if its planned to be in the 7.2 version? or when this feature should be production ready?

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Oct 19, 2014 @ 13:14
    Dave Woestenborghs

This feature is still a Proof of concept and is not sure if it ever will make the core or not.

For 1-on1 site translation you can use the excellent package by Matt Brailsford called Vorto : http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/vorto

Dave

Oct 19, 2014 @ 13:24
    AvihayBit

Hi Dave,

I have a problem with vorto- If I change any of document type properties to vorto property It became blank. I will have to copy-paste from RTE to Vorto Property 1500 products. Matt Brailsford is appear to be too busy to update it or answer questions about the package... Vorto is not the solution for me, sorry...

Besides, The Variations and Segments looks so promising- it have to be in the core. The screen-width content responsiveness and the option to controll the content for different users is an ability that no other CMS can be proud at meanwhile....

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Oct 19, 2014 @ 13:26
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi,

Maybe you can create a content migration like this.

Prepare all your vorto datatypes. :

In code loop through your items and read all the values

For each item change the datatype using the API.

Store the original value in the vorto datatype.

Dave

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 19, 2014 @ 13:33
    Dennis Aaen

Hi AvihayBit,

Another solution could maybe be the Polyglot package while you are waiting for the new variations and segments features.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/polyglot

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Oct 19, 2014 @ 14:28
    AvihayBit

Hi ,

Dennis- Thanks, I know Polyglot, I didnt checked it, but it seems like I will have the same problem as with Vorto...

Dave- Yup I may have to do it, if the Variations and Segments doesn't planned to be a part of the close future...

If one of the core members will tell us the plans about this concept, it will help to my decision :)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 20, 2014 @ 06:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This feature is still a Proof of concept and is not sure if it ever will make the core or not.

We definitely want to do it but it's not coming any time soon.

Oct 20, 2014 @ 07:21
    AvihayBit

Ugh, bummers...

Thanks anyway for the response Sebastiaan, I guess i'll have to go to Vorto + code loop fore the items meanwhile.

Thanks guys.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft